contact banned email list

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
evaningram
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

contact banned email list

Post by evaningram » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:32 am

Hi there,

I'm trying to block some domains from using a standard contact form, I'm using the banned email field in the contact record.

It works fine when I just enter 1 domain, but when I try entering more than 1 domain it doesn't block them. Does anyone know the format of entering more than 1 domain into the banned email field? I tried comma separated and each domain on a new line, neither works.

many thanks

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: contact banned email list

Post by SharkyKZ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Separate with semicolon:
Email addresses not allowed to submit contact form. Separate multiple email addresses with a semicolon.

evaningram
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by evaningram » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:06 pm

SharkyKZ wrote:Separate with semicolon:
Email addresses not allowed to submit contact form. Separate multiple email addresses with a semicolon.
2.5 doesn't have the full description like that, 3 does just seen it, thank you.

GMORDAN
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by GMORDAN » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:45 pm

I keep getting emails from Website Contact from some Chinese website. I have added the domains such as @qq.com. Separated with the semicolon (;) but it has not worked blocking them. I even added the website address that appears in the emails to the Banned Text and that has not worked. Can anyone help me to figure out how to stop this. How do I add a Captcha? I am very novice. I get hundreds a day of these emails.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Two simple precautions to prevent disposable email addresses, like @qq.com, using contact forms in J! 2.5:

1) Move your website to J! 3.9.2. OK? No excuses for not doing that; absolutely no excuses at all. There are people constantly on the lookout to exploit old, outdated websites like yours and you can't stop them (especially now that they know that your J! 2.5 website exists).

2) Remove the contact form from your website or restrict it so that only registered/logged-in users can use the contact form. This will probably stop 80% of the spam emails you're getting.

There are other counter-measures available but they're not simple ones like the two I've listed above.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”