Changes not taking effect in Joomla 1.6

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
akashmir3321
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Changes not taking effect in Joomla 1.6

Post by akashmir3321 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:14 am

Hi!
I am new to Joomla. I am using Joomla 1.6.
I only change little things of a website(i.e. dates, time, location, etc.) from administrator. So basically I have zero knowledge. I am facing these issues. Please help.

Issue 1>

Logging into my administrator, as I edit CONTACT US article and try to bring some change, saving the change does not cause change in website, but shows that changes are successfully saved. Changes are saved in article manager. I have tried clearing all histories(incl. caches) of browsers and in incognito mode.

This is happening for this article only. All other articles are working fine.

Issue 2>

There are a few articles that are available in my article manager, but are not available/showing in my website. Is it somehow unpublished/unpermitted? How can I understand? All articles have same features btw.

Any solution other than upgrading Joomla will be appreciated.

Thank You

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Changes not taking effect in Joomla 1.6

Post by AMurray » Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 am

askashimr3321 wrote:Any solution other than upgrading Joomla will be appreciated.
Given you are a newbie, take one piece of advice up-front please: Use the latest edition of Joomla as 1.6 is out of date, vulnerable to hacking and support for it ended a good part of a decade ago.

If the site is not complicated, there may be some content that can be salvaged such as the articles, but any components or modules (including menus, slideshows) etc will not work with 3.8.7 -
Please download the latest Joomla here
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

akashmir3321
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by akashmir3321 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:33 am

AMurray wrote:
askashimr3321 wrote:Any solution other than upgrading Joomla will be appreciated.
Given you are a newbie, take one piece of advice up-front please: Use the latest edition of Joomla as 1.6 is out of date, vulnerable to hacking and support for it ended a good part of a decade ago.

If the site is not complicated, there may be some content that can be salvaged such as the articles, but any components or modules (including menus, slideshows) etc will not work with 3.8.7 -
Please download the latest Joomla here

Thank You A Murray for your suggestion.
Will upgrading Joomla lead to any other problems? i.e. SEO and other things(might be).

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by AMurray » Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 pm

It's not an easy transition/migration, any extensions you have on the current site, you will need to upgrade or find equivalents if the extension doesn't exist for 3.x - the versions for 1.x won't work.

The following is the instruction you will need - 1.5 to 3.x (1.5 including anything in the 1.x series, so applies to 1.6).
https://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.5_to_3 ... _Migration

Note, it mentions Akeeba Backup; the latest Akeeba won't work on Joomla 1.x series but the Akeeba website does have archive versions, although how far back, I don't know).

Whether this will affect your SEO, I am not an expert on that so can't give you an answer.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Wed May 16, 2018 9:48 pm

akashmir3321 wrote:Any solution other than upgrading Joomla will be appreciated.
I'll keep this short and brief:

1) J! 1.6—a marketing catastophe that was partially "improved" by renaming that version as J! 2.5—was released in January 2011 (over seven years ago) and, in that time, there have been over 100 updates of Joomla CMS software released in that time.

2) J! 1.6 software was last "maintained" with the release of J! 2.5.28 on 10 December 2014; it reached end-of-life on 31 December 2014. The software that you're using is unsupported.

3) Whether websites maintain their SEO presence or not is unrelated to what versions of Joomla people may be using. SEO is agnostic about the foundation building tools used to create websites. Your website's SEO presence is entirely a matter of your preparation of site content. Changing the foundation classes that underpin how your site operates (i.e. migrating the CMS from J! 1.6.x to J! 3.8.7) should have no (or at most, negligible) detrimental impact on SEO. You may, in fact, improve your site's SEO by migrating to J! 3.8.7 if you take advantage of improvements offered, in the latest releases of Joomla, in this regard.

4) Do I have any "solution" regarding the use of a version of J! that I last used over seven years ago, have long since abandoned and (apart from nostalgic references in some of the books I have in my library) I've forgotten about, the short answer is no. I cannot answer for other members of the community who have maintained their websites built on J! 1.6 (if there may be any of them reading this topic who have an interest in contributing to it). You'll just have to wait and see, won't you?
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

akashmir3321
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by akashmir3321 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:26 am

AMurray wrote:It's not an easy transition/migration, any extensions you have on the current site, you will need to upgrade or find equivalents if the extension doesn't exist for 3.x - the versions for 1.x won't work.

The following is the instruction you will need - 1.5 to 3.x (1.5 including anything in the 1.x series, so applies to 1.6).
https://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.5_to_3 ... _Migration

Note, it mentions Akeeba Backup; the latest Akeeba won't work on Joomla 1.x series but the Akeeba website does have archive versions, although how far back, I don't know).

Whether this will affect your SEO, I am not an expert on that so can't give you an answer.

Thank You

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”