not able to log onto my joomla backend

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
dide-design
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

not able to log onto my joomla backend

Post by dide-design » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:54 pm

suddenly my joomla site is not showing my main menu anymore. other links on the site are showing a 404 error.
I can't log on to the backend to see what's wrong.
Does anybody have an idea what happened? i did not make any changes that could have caused this issue.
the website is [ redacted ]
Last edited by toivo on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: link to non-Joomla website removed

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: not able to log onto my joomla backend

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:49 pm

You are using a Joomla version that has not been supported for 4 years. 2.5.28 was released in December 2014. If your host have upgraded the version of php on the server to 7.x, it will not be compatible.

dide-design
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dide-design » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:13 am

Is there a solution to my problem? I can’t select a php version lower than 7.1. Can i update my joomla version without logging in to the backend?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:56 am

dide-design wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:13 am
Is there a solution to my problem?
The answer depends on what you're prepared to pay: the solution will cost you time and/or money.

At the moment, you cannot operate a J! 2.5.something website on PHP 7.1; that's a fact. You cannot even migrate your J! 2.5.something website to J! 3.9.1 using that webhosting provider.

Option 1: Move your website to another webhosting provider that offers PHP 5.6. This will cost you a couple of days (to find an alternative webhosting platform) and time to move your website from one place to the other.

Option 2: Migrate the J! J! 2.5.something website to J! 3.9.1 yourself using another webhosting environment (e.g. a webserver hosted on your own PC) and then move the migrated website back to your existing webhost. This will probably take you a few days and you may need to purchase additional software to complete the task. You need to remember that most J! 2.5 extensions (including templates) will not work with J! 3.x

Option 3: Obtain a professional website developer's help to undertake the migration to J! 3.9.1. This will probably take a couple of days and a few hundred dollars; I would imagine the total cost would not exceed $500 but it depends on the complexity of the job.

Option 4: Start again. Build a new J! 3.9.1 website—this is probably the quickest and cheapest solution—on your current webhost.

Option 5: Do nothing. Accept the loss of your J! 2.5.something website and take up macrame.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

HZolfaghar
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by HZolfaghar » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:54 am

dide-design wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:54 pm
suddenly my joomla site is not showing my main menu anymore. other links on the site are showing a 404 error.
I can't log on to the backend to see what's wrong.
Does anybody have an idea what happened? i did not make any changes that could have caused this issue.
the website is [ redacted ]
HI dide-design

check the joomla directory (Where is the configuration.php file).
If the file .htaccess exists, rename it and re-login in administrator section and declare the result.

HZolfaghar ;)
Last edited by toivo on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: link to non-Joomla website removed

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:53 am

Resetting the administrator password (as your question originally was about that, as I interpreted it) :
https://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_reco ... assword%3F.

I agree though with the other comments. Not keeping up to date with Joomla releases will catch you out, such as when Hosts upgrade their systems and your site no longer functions. However I thought PHP 5.6.something was still current (at least until the end of 2018) so I don't know why you can't select that. My host gives me half a dozen options in the 5.6.x and 7.x series of PHP>
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”