Unable to login with Safari Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
shanewn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Unable to login with Safari

Post by shanewn » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:37 am

Hi,

Joomla 2.5.28
PHP 5.6

I have had a client contact me in regards to users having issues logging in via iOS type devices including Safari (latest version), iPads and iPhones. I have tested and have the same issue. Login works through Chrome and android devices. There is no error message and the login screen looks like it is submitting quickly and then just resets itself ready to login again. No error messages on screen or in safari or in any logs I can see.

I have checked config file, file permissions and cleared session tables, tried the non SSL version, checked in debug mode. Not sure what is the issue.

Here is a user details to test to see the issue in Safari:
https://nektavite.com.au/home/bird-feeders
shanedm
wgE5BJ+97P

I am not sure what else to look at, any suggestions?
Thanks.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Unable to login with Safari

Post by toivo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:55 am

Welcome to the Joomla forum!

Are there any errors in the PHP error log? Set the error reporting option to 'Maximum' in Global Configuration first.

Does Safari report any javascript errors? The following tutorials show how to find them:
https://www.joomlart.com/tutorials/joom ... -in-joomla
https://wordpress.org/support/article/u ... rs/#safari
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

shanewn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shanewn » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. No errors when set to maximum and no errors in the javascript.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Would suggest updating the site to 3.9.15. Test on a duplicate copy, and also test for the above issue being fixed.

2.5.x is not supported.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:09 pm

G'day, Shane.

I tried to login to your website using Safari on an iPad IOS 9.3.6; unsuccessfully and with no hint regarding what might be a problem.

No problems using Firefox from my desktop. I cannot open the website at all using Safari for Windows because "Safari cannot establish a secure connection to the server"

Similarly, unsuccessful using Safari on iPhone IOS 13.3.1.

Although it's certainly true that J! 2.5.x is no longer a supported platform, there should be no logical reason why the website is misbehaving in this manner. Question the possibility that you have made changes in the webhosting platform you're using to operate the website, perhaps (e.g. PHP version)?

I can't say anything more than that, sorry.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

shanewn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shanewn » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:25 am

Thank you for the tests to confirm. I have the solved the issue. It would seem there was a value in the Global Configuration -> Cookie Settings -> Cookie Path field and once I removed it, it has started working for iOS devices. Not sure how the value got in there to start with or why it matters for iOS devices but seems to fix it.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:02 am

I can confirm that I can login to the website using an iPad IOS 9.3.6 (I haven't tried other devices) but I cannot open the website with Safari for Windows for the same reason as I observed in my previous post. That may not be an issue because not many people use Safari for Windows, I suppose.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”