Locked out of years old account

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
jmarquezrpaa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Locked out of years old account

Post by jmarquezrpaa » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:54 pm

Hello! I'm new here, please bear with me. I'm the sysadmin at the office and haven't been on for very long. We have a 4 year old website that uses Joomla that is managed through cPanel in GoDaddy. Whoever created the site and the account has been gone for at least 4 years and with them the username and password. Suddenly, we need to remove some information from the site urgently.

I saw that I'm supposed to be able to change the administrator username, password, and email through cPanel, but after doing that I still don't have access to the administrator account. Does the change take time to carry over to the Joomla system? Or are we screwed without access? There's zero backups of the site (yay) and I doubt there's also any backups in our host.

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Locked out of years old account

Post by AlexVega » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:02 pm

Hi there!,

Welcome to the Forum, please read this step by step instructions:
https://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_reco ... assword%3F

Don't forget to back up, update your php version in the server and update your site and extensions as soon as possible.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:33 pm

You can probably do your backups though cPanel - hopefully GD have the functions required turned on.

Also when you get back into the site, as @AleVega has said, update the site to 3.9.16. I think it's better to do this safely in smaller increments. If the site is 3.9.x series then you can likely upload the update package from here http://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla3 or just try the automatic updates from JOomla update as normal.

Between updates, backup the site. I would advise using Akeeba Backup. You can find the older versions for earlier Joomla releases here: https://www.akeebabackup.com/compatibility.html.

In case you do run into issues, you can restore the site using Akeeba Kickstart (also from akeeba.com).
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:34 pm

Additionally, it would be useful if you can provide the results of the Forum POst Assistant. This is not a joomla extension, it is one PHP file that you upload to the joomla folder and run from your browser. Details here: https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/
Regards,
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!

jmarquezrpaa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmarquezrpaa » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:35 pm

Unfortunately even after resetting the password through the database and creating a new admin account, I still can't login. There must be something else I'm missing. Also in case you guys are curious, the website is running Joomla 2.5.28-2 :|

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:56 pm

Mod. Note: Relocated the topic to the 2.5 forum

jmarquezrpaa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmarquezrpaa » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:14 pm

Ok, I found out what was wrong after calling a support rep.

From GoDaddy I can get to cPanel. From cPanel I can get to the Joomla information. Apparently, the information displayed about what database is linked to the website is wrong and outdated. According to the rep, when someone repoints a database or makes a change from the website admin console, the changes don't carry down to the cPanel display information. So the username and password I was resetting was for a database the website wasn't using :|

I wasn't aware that the config.php file would list what database and users the website was actually using for access. Additionally, the file manager was taking forever to load so I really had no clue. In the end, I was following the right steps to reset passwords and create a new user, but was just doing it to the wrong database.

I'll try and update Joomla to the right version in the following days. Thanks for the help!

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:59 pm

If GD is not working for you then time to consider a change of host.

Whatever you do, don't use GD's update method for joomla - update it via the proper method, as outlined here: viewtopic.php?f=710&t=793171
Regards,
A Murray

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”