Migrating an old 2.5.16 site to new server

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
SLAinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Migrating an old 2.5.16 site to new server

Post by SLAinc » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:51 pm

I have been trying over the last week (in my spare, work-filled time) to move an old backed up 2.5.16 Joomla site to a new server. This is an old site that hasn't been worked on or active in the last two or three years, but it has a lot of articles/taxonomy that I don't want to recreate.

I tried copying the original folders (via ftp) to the new server, creating a blank database and importing the old backup database into phpMyAdmin. I updated the configuration.php to reflect the new settings for database. I was never able to login to the administration backend due to jauthenticate errors (going by memory here). I tried resetting the login password in the database, but no luck. I downloaded a fresh copy of 2.5.16 and replacing the plugins directory to no avail.

I then wiped out the directories and tried using the freshly downloaded 2.5.16 to install first. I have been unable to get past the language selection on the install page. It shows

Code: Select all

Notice: Array to string conversion in ../libraries/joomla/registry/registry.php on line 342

Notice: Array to string conversion in ..libraries/joomla/registry/registry.php on line 342

Notice: Array to string conversion in ../libraries/joomla/registry/registry.php on line 342

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in ../libraries/joomla/application/application.php on line 481
The new server has a lowest php version setting of 5.6, so I don't know if the old server was using something older. I also tried 7.0 and 7.1 and both of those show the errors on line 342 of the registry.php, but not the application.php error.

Would I be better doing the install fresh 2.5.16 version or the copy backup copy of the original server? I would have kept it updated, but my boss would never let me publish the site so I essentially gave up on it. Now he's pushing for a new site that he can update product info :eek: Any assistance would be greatly appreciated; I seem to be running in circles at this point.

-Rob

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Migrating an old 2.5.16 site to new server

Post by Webdongle » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:36 pm

Install the latest version of Joomla and use https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/j2xml/ to port the data from the old site.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:42 pm

I'd agree with @webdongle concerning the import of data with J2XML.

Note that Joomla 2.5 doesn't work in PHP 7.x at all. Refer to https://downloads.joomla.org/technical-requirements for minimum requirements.

Also note, that the last 2.5.x last version (from 8 years ago) is 2.5.28 not 2.5.16.

There are lots of issues with migration you might face, but the guide here viewtopic.php?f=710&t=868240 should help you through it.

While you might be able to import the data the issue will be finding the extensions required thatyou currently use (Joomla 3.x versions).

Once on Joomla 3.9.19, set PHP to 7.2 (min) or 7.3 (recommended). Install Akeeba Backup, and make regular backups. Also keep the system updated - core updates (security & bug fix updates) come out about every 5-6 weeks.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

SLAinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SLAinc » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:56 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:36 pm
Install the latest version of Joomla and use https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/j2xml/ to port the data from the old site.
I'll look at the extension and see how it works. I don't have access to the original server, so I'm not sure I would be able to perform the export.

Alternatively, I'll try the suggested 2.5.28 install and see if I can work my way up to the current. I have a site that uses another cms that is updated constantly, so future updates will be a given. I had expected to get back to this old one, but time seems to pass by so quick as of late.

Thanks for the suggestions and help. I'll update this thread with any progress.

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ribo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:40 pm

Also 2.5.28 is EOL, so better to make what @Webdongle said. It will be much easier and safe for you.
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:40 am

SLAinc wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:56 pm
I'll look at the extension and see how it works. I don't have access to the original server, so I'm not sure I would be able to perform the export....
You don't need access to the server you just need super user login to Joomla admin. You could use the method stated in viewtopic.php?p=3606940#p3606856 to update on localhost. Akeeba can be used to copy the site to localhost.

SLAinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SLAinc » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:18 pm

I started with the install 2.5.16 on new server route and haven't had much luck so far. I was able to get the 2.5.16 installed without using the old db and everything seems to work in the admin. If I try to connect to the old db, I have problems. I started disabling plugins, but may have disabled too much - now getting server 500 error.

So I'm looking at trying the localhost method..
1. Use phpMyAdmin to find the version in the database and install a fresh Joomla to a new folder/database.
2.a. Copy the original database to a new empty database.
2.b. Edit the configuration.php (of the fresh install) to the copy of the original database

You should then be able to log in to admin. Update if it requires.
3. Install a fresh copy of the latest Joomla to a new folder and database
4. Install your 3rd party extensions to the new Joomla.
5. Edit the configuration.php (of the new install) to the copy of the original database

6. Use Akeeba to backup your fixed site and transfer it to the server
I have Kubuntu partition on our QC computer, so I installed Xampp7.4.6-0. Should I install an older version like 5.6 to use with Joomla 2.5.16? I was able to install the 7.4.6-0 version, but I haven't had the time to make sense on where to put the Joomla so that I can get to it from localhost/joomla in a browser. Before I got any further, I thought I may have issues since this is a newer php.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:34 pm

AMurray wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:42 pm
Joomla 2.5 doesn't work in PHP 7.x at all.
See J! technical requirements.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:03 pm

If you also have a windows partition then use wamp you can switch php version on the fly.
Installing a fresh Joomla and linking the old database will not work. You would need to install 3rd party extensions then update the old Joomla. Best is use j2xml

If you use kubuntu you might need two different stacks to switch php versions which would be cumbersome. If you have to use kubuntu see https://docs.joomla.org/Installing_Joom ... bian_Linux

SLAinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SLAinc » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:59 pm

Thanks for all of the responses.

I do have a Windows partition and installed WAMPServer (I didn't know XAMPP had a Windows version as well). I set up the environment with php version 5.6.40, phpMyAdmin 4.9.2 MariaDB 10.4.10 MySQL 8.0.18.

I downloaded and unpacked Joomla 2.5.16 into a local directory under the www directory of the WAMP directory C:\wamp64\www\Joomla2516\.

I created an empty database and imported a copy of the original database using phpMyAdmin.
I can get to localhost/Joomla2516/administrator/ but I keep getting an error when trying to login.

JAuthentication: :authenticate: Failed to load plugin: plgauthenticationcookie
        Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet.
I went into the database with phpMyAdmin and reset the password for the admin account. Still get the same error. I had the same issue when I was trying all of this directly on the new server.

Maybe I should try all of this with the slightly newer 2.5.28? Should I try with a different set of WAMP settings for php, mySQL,...

Edit.. I did run through the Joomla install process initially, then did a quick check to see if I could log into the admin backend. I could. I then dropped all of the tables and imported a copy of the original db. I'm not sure if that is the issue. There isn't a configuration.php in the fresh Joomla copy unless you pull it from the installation fold and rename from configuration.php-dist.
Maybe I should copy the configuration.php-dist and rename to configuration.php and edit without doing the installation process. I'll try that next.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:20 pm

If you install a fresh Joomla then the configuration.php is written during installation.
https://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_reco ... assword%3F

SLAinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SLAinc » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:39 pm

Thanks Webdongle. I was totally not doing the password reset correctly <facepalm>
Now I can work on trying to upgrade to the latest.

SLAinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SLAinc » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Update.
I tried doing mini upgrades directly on the server with some success 2.5.16 -> 2.5.28 -> 3.0.0 -> etc. Work has been busy, so this was a way to possibly upgrade outside of the office.

This is the sequence..
Upg from 2.5.16 to 2.5.28
- no issues

Upg to 3.0.0
- no issues

Upg to 3.1.0
- DB structure up to date
- Errors showing on admin page at the top.
Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.internal_encoding is deprecated in ../libraries/joomla/string/string.php on line 27

Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.input_encoding is deprecated in ../libraries/joomla/string/string.php on line 28

Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.output_encoding is deprecated in ../libraries/joomla/string/string.php on line 29

Upg to 3.2.0
- DB structure updated
- previous iconv warnings +
Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at ../libraries/joomla/string/string.php:27) in ../libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 658

Upg to 3.3.0
Error occurred
1060 Duplicate column name 'extra_query' SQL=ALTER TABLE `jos_update_sites` ADD COLUMN `extra_query` VARCHAR(1000) DEFAULT '';
Version shows 3.3.0
- DB structure updated

Now I am unable to log in to the administrator backend. Appears to be some session error that is preventing it.

Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.internal_encoding is deprecated in ../libraries/joomla/string/string.php on line 27

Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.input_encoding is deprecated in ../libraries/joomla/string/string.php on line 28

Deprecated: iconv_set_encoding(): Use of iconv.output_encoding is deprecated in ../libraries/joomla/string/string.php on line 29

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at ../libraries/joomla/string/string.php:27) in ../libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 658

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at ../libraries/joomla/string/string.php:27) in ../libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 658
I thought I was making progress until this happened. The localhost upgrade process will be my fallback if I can't get around this error. It will have to wait until I can get access to that particular workstation with wampserver installed.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:29 pm

Consider installing a fresh Joomla (without sample data) and using something like https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/j2xml/ to port the data.

SLAinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SLAinc » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:14 pm

Update.
As suggested MANY TIMES in this thread, I installed the 2.5.28 on localhost machine using WampServer. I then dropped all of the tables of the clean install and then imported the old database.
After that, I downloaded the appropriate J2XML and exported the categories and articles. Documentation was sparse on the use of the plugin, but I stumbled my way through it. When I exported the categories, it seemed to include all of the articles.

I then installed the 3.9.19 version of Joomla (local again) to test. Installed the J2XML on the new install. Imported the XML file (the categories one). Everything seems to be there.
After that I installed 3.9.19 on the server and imported again. Articles, categories, and users seem to all be there.

Granted, I need to go through the settings and configuration and compare with the old version (I had used a different path for the media). It looks like I'm on the right path.

Thanks for all of the responses and help. I've learned a lot with regards to using WampServer on a local machine for testing before going live with something. The J2XML worked great too. I was really spinning my wheels trying the upgrade path.

Thanks Again!

SLAinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SLAinc » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:49 pm

I don't suppose there is a way to export the menus?
I'm trying to rebuild (the menus) from the original 2.5.28 installation, but Joomla is throwing a bunch of errors when I try to view.

Warning: Header may not contain more than a single header, new line detected in C:\wamp64\www\Joomla2528\libraries\joomla\environment\response.php on line 135
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\wamp64\www\Joomla2528\libraries\joomla\environment\response.php:135) in C:\wamp64\www\Joomla2528\libraries\joomla\environment\response.php on line 139
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\wamp64\www\Joomla2528\libraries\joomla\environment\response.php:135) in C:\wamp64\www\Joomla2528\libraries\joomla\environment\response.php on line 139
That is showing since I have php enabled to view errors. There is also a really large error that appears to be related to SQL.

Unknown column 'a.ordering' in 'field list' SQL=SELECT a.id, a.menutype, a.title, a.alias, a.note, a.path, a.link, a.type, a.parent_id, a.level, a.published as apublished, a.component_id, a.ordering, a.checked_out, a.checked_out_time, a.browserNav, a.access, a.img, a.template_style_id, a.params, a.lft, a.rgt, a.home, a.language, a.client_id,CASE a.type WHEN 'component' THEN a.published+2*(e.enabled-1) WHEN 'url' THEN a.published+2 WHEN 'alias' THEN a.published+4 WHEN 'separator' THEN a.published+6 END AS published,l.title AS language_title, l.image as image,u.name AS editor,c.element AS componentname,ag.title AS access_level,e.name AS name FROM `jos_menu` AS a LEFT JOIN `jos_languages` AS l ON l.lang_code = a.language LEFT JOIN `jos_users` AS u ON u.id = a.checked_out LEFT JOIN `jos_extensions` AS c ON c.extension_id = a.component_id LEFT JOIN jos_viewlevels AS ag ON ag.id = a.access LEFT JOIN jos_extensions AS e ON e.extension_id = a.component_id WHERE a.id > 1 AND a.client_id = 0 AND a.published = 1 AND a.menutype = 'mainmenu' ORDER BY a.lft asc Unknown column 'a.ordering' in 'field list' SQL=SELECT a.id, a.menutype, a.title, a.alias, a.note, a.path, a.link, a.type, a.parent_id, a.level, a.published as apublished, a.component_id, a.ordering, a.checked_out, a.checked_out_time, a.browserNav, a.access, a.img, a.template_style_id, a.params, a.lft, a.rgt, a.home, a.language, a.client_id,CASE a.type WHEN 'component' THEN a.published+2*(e.enabled-1) WHEN 'url' THEN a.published+2 WHEN 'alias' THEN a.published+4 WHEN 'separator' THEN a.published+6 END AS published,l.title AS language_title, l.image as image,u.name AS editor,c.element AS componentname,ag.title AS access_level,e.name AS name FROM `jos_menu` AS a LEFT JOIN `jos_languages` AS l ON l.lang_code = a.language LEFT JOIN `jos_users` AS u ON u.id = a.checked_out LEFT JOIN `jos_extensions` AS c ON c.extension_id = a.component_id LEFT JOIN jos_viewlevels AS ag ON ag.id = a.access LEFT JOIN jos_extensions AS e ON e.extension_id = a.component_id WHERE a.id > 1 AND a.client_id = 0 AND a.published = 1 AND a.menutype = 'mainmenu' ORDER BY a.lft asc LIMIT 0, 20 Unknown column 'a.ordering' in 'field list' SQL=SELECT a.id, a.menutype, a.title, a.alias, a.note, a.path, a.link, a.type, a.parent_id, a.level, a.published as apublished, a.component_id, a.ordering, a.checked_out, a.checked_out_time, a.browserNav, a.access, a.img, a.template_style_id, a.params, a.lft, a.rgt, a.home, a.language, a.client_id,CASE a.type WHEN 'component' THEN a.published+2*(e.enabled-1) WHEN 'url' THEN a.published+2 WHEN 'alias' THEN a.published+4 WHEN 'separator' THEN a.published+6 END AS published,l.title AS language_title, l.image as image,u.name AS editor,c.element AS componentname,ag.title AS access_level,e.name AS name FROM `jos_menu` AS a LEFT JOIN `jos_languages` AS l ON l.lang_code = a.language LEFT JOIN `jos_users` AS u ON u.id = a.checked_out LEFT JOIN `jos_extensions` AS c ON c.extension_id = a.component_id LEFT JOIN jos_viewlevels AS ag ON ag.id = a.access LEFT JOIN jos_extensions AS e ON e.extension_id = a.component_id WHERE a.id > 1 AND a.client_id = 0 AND a.published = 1 AND a.menutype = 'mainmenu' ORDER BY a.lft asc

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:05 pm

Extensions >>> Manage >>> Database ... fix ?

SLAinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SLAinc » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:41 pm

Good suggestion. There was a data base fix required, so I ran it. A couple of errors stayed after the fix.

Table 'jos_content' does not have column 'title_alias' with type 'VARCHAR(255)'. (From file 1.7.3-2011-10-15.sql.)
Table 'jos_content' does not have column 'title_alias' with type 'VARCHAR(255)'. (From file 1.7.4-2011-11-23.sql.)
After doing some looking, it was recommended to remove the sql files under administrator\components\com_admin\sql\updates\mysql. I renamed the extensions to .arc, effectively removing them. The remaining errors disappeared.

The issue with viewing the menu items persists. I tried with older 2.5.16 version as well. I also did the menu - rebuild which didn't seem to make a difference.
I may have to redo the menus from memory and hopefully get it close. Some things may have changed at this point anyway.
I also need to get Akeeba backup and some other plugins installed, so plenty of work to keep me busy. :laugh:

Thanks!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”