Table management

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
bransna
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Table management

Post by bransna » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:35 pm

I inherited a Joomla site and have been trying to maintain it, adding or changing content. I have a 4x600 table to which I add rows and then fill in the content. When I added content to column 4 the cells in column 4 became wider. The result is that now only 2 or the 4 cells are displayed. I cannot figure how to reduce the width of this column. BTW, it looks like my site is running 2.5.17.
Last edited by imanickam on Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic from General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x to General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Table management

Post by AMurray » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:04 pm

First you need to update Joomla to 3.9.21. V 2.5 is not supported, and EOL about 6 years ago. Even then 2.5.17 is not the last 2.5 version; 2.5.28 is. Please confirm, for sure, what Joomla version your site is running Migration instructions available here

How are you creating the HTML tables?

Perhaps some basic knowledge of HTML will assist. Refer to https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_tables.asp

4 x 600..? do you mean 4 columns by 600 rows? (that's one huge table....).

Please provide a link to the page, demonstrating the issue.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

bransna
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bransna » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:26 pm

Hello,

Thanks for answering my post. I'm using the Editor to add rows to this table (not use HTML directly). Yes, the table is 4 columns by about 50 rows (I was incorrect about the 600). This is the website http://www.oralmedicinepacific.com/
The list of articles under more "more recent articles" should be 4 across but now only 2. Until I added a new row there were 4 articles across. It was the last column that I added data to which caused the column to expand. I can send a link to the page but this would not be secure since I believe it would give access to the site.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Sizing tables

Post by sozzled » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:14 pm

Tables are not good to use these days because they do not adapt well to different viewing devices. It doesn't matter that the website uses J! 2.5; I don't answer questions or comment on people's choices to use J! 2.5. You're just lucky that I spent a few minutes looking at this question.

It doesn't matter if the tables are 1 row or 1 million rows. Table cell widths can be controlled with CSS.

Here is some CSS that will address some of your problems

Code: Select all

div.ja-content-main table:nth-of-type(2) img.album {
	max-width: 20px;
	max-height: 20px;
}
div.ja-content-main table:nth-of-type(2) table  {
	width: unset !important;
}

div.ja-content-main table:nth-of-type(2) table td {
	width: 8vw;
	display: inline-block;
}

div.ja-content-main table span {
	font-size: unset !important;
}
I will leave you to decide where to insert this CSS. If you were using a more modern template than JA Ores (released over ten years ago) then I could tell you where to insert the CSS.

It's your website, it's your business and they're your choices. Good luck.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:18 pm

@AMurray: yes, this is a J! 2.5 website. I asked the forum moderators to relocate the topic to the correct forum category (about two hours ago).

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:08 am

Alternatives to tables (or any other "manual" maintenance of adding/removing documents) would be something like a document download manager (e.g. Phoca Download) https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/phoca-download/

Again, up to the OP to investigate further anything that makes life easier for maintaining this particular section of the site.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”