Old version of Joomla and getting these errors Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
searchpartyloc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Old version of Joomla and getting these errors

Post by searchpartyloc » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:59 am

Hi All,

Many thanks in advance for your help. I have a website www.searchpartylocations.com, and I have received the following errors -

----------------------------------

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/searchp/public_html/libraries/joomla/filter/filterinput.php on line 582

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/searchp/public_html/libraries/joomla/filter/filterinput.php on line 584

Warning: session_cache_limiter(): Cannot change cache limiter when headers already sent in /home1/searchp/public_html/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 461

Warning: session_start(): Cannot start session when headers already sent in /home1/searchp/public_html/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 462
Duplicate entry '' for key 'PRIMARY' SQL=INSERT INTO `ejspt_session` (`session_id`, `client_id`, `time`) VALUES ('', 0, 1626318131)

---------------------------------------

When I go to login as an administrator, I also get very similar messages once I log in. I'm a novice and not sure how to fix the issues, can anyone assist with this?

Many thanks!
Alex
Last edited by toivo on Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x General Questions, retitled

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: HELP! Old version of Joomla and getting these errors

Post by abernyte » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:09 am

You seem to be using Joomla 1.7 which is eons out of date. I suspect that the host has increased the PHP version on the server and it is no longer compatible with your out of date Joomla. Try backing off the PHP version to 5.6 or 5.3 and see if it works. You can usually do this via your hosts control panel or raise a ticket with them.
You urgently need to get up to date. J1.7 EOL'ed in 2014.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

searchpartyloc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by searchpartyloc » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:34 am

Many thanks for this! All working now :) for me to update to the latest Joomla, should I do it in stages or go straight to the new version? Just concerned about my very old templates, and if i'll have issues. Just creating a backup through Akeeba now, should this be enough to save all my current settings and files etc?
Cheers,
Alex

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:36 am

searchpartyloc wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:34 am
Many thanks for this! All working now :) for me to update to the latest Joomla, should I do it in stages or go straight to the new version?
Getting from J! 1.7 to J! 3.9.28 has to be done in stages. You need to get to J! 2.5.28 first, then use the Joomla! Update component to migrate to [an old] version of J! 3 and then (in two more stages) update from there to the latest version. If you do it any other way your website will break.

searchpartyloc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Old version of Joomla and getting these errors

Post by searchpartyloc » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:49 am

Thanks so much!

Do I upgrade through my admin backend login to 2.5.28 and then install the attached package? Will that package do it in the 3 stages you mentioned, or will it break it?

Sorry for the basic questions, I'm very new to all things Joomla.

Are you ok to talk me through the install process? I've also just downloaded Joomla_2.5.28-Stable-Full_Package.tar.gz, is this the correct package?

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:57 am

It's a fairly complex subject—migrating from J! 1.7 through J! 2.5.28 then to J! 3.4.8 then to J! 3.6.5 then to J! 3.9.28—although the process is outlined in several sticky posts throughout this forum if you would like to search for them. It would probably take me about half an hour to explain the process to someone—one-on-one via videoconference—if that's something that interests you.

Most of the work is in the planning. The execution—the physical "nuts and bolts" of the procedure—is mechanical and requires paying attention to detail; make sure you don't overlook the obvious. The last time I did this was about three years ago and it took me about two days; two days of doing nothing else except for planning, salvaging what I could salvage, locate any relevant software that I could find, and perform the task in a quarantined (PHP 5.6) environment. Not difficult; just tedious.

If you would like more guidance on the planning and execution, and you don't mind using videoconferencing to ask questions, then you may write to me.

UPDATE: I see that the website owner is located in Australia. We could touch base by telephone. Write to me and I'll give you a phone number. :)

searchpartyloc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by searchpartyloc » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:09 am

Thanks Sozzled! I tried to PM you but I don't think I have the privileges yet :)

Are you able to PM me from your end, and we can discuss the upgrade further? I'm not sure if carrying out the work to update it all for a fee would interest you?

Cheers, Alex

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:11 am

You can't PM (that's true) but you can email; at least I think you can (can't you?). We won't discuss fees.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:05 am

UPDATE: The target website has been updated to J! 2.5.28. For the time being—for as long as the webhosting provider maintains PHP 5.6 availability—the website is operational. The risk is that PHP 5.6 availability could be suddenly withdrawn.

A very quick system audit shows that the website is relatively uncomplicated; the most-used component is JoomGallery (an updated version will work with J! 3.x) but a couple of other extensions will not migrate. There are alternatives that can be explored to replace those other features.

The site template will probably work quite well with Protostar as a replacement for the custom template currently in use.

The OP has informed me that he will take my advice, use the time to plan the next stages in re-working his website, before proceeding further. Because the error messages have disappeared, this topic can be considered resolved.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”