vServer performance issues after Joomla 1.6 installation

Discussion regarding Joomla! 2.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
odx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

vServer performance issues after Joomla 1.6 installation

Post by odx » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:06 am

Hello,
i ran into a really curious phenomena. I am running a vServer with ispcp.
I have currently 5 Joomla 1.5 installations on it. They perform quite well.

But as soon as i set up a Joomla 1.6 system the whole vserver begins to lag. This causes apache timeouts (resulting in error 500). Also the ftp server gets so slow that it cannot be accessed. (Email works but very slow..)

After removing the joomla installation (had to do that through ssh...) and restarting the services the server returns to normal operation.

I am not sure what is causing this bottleneck, even if it is up to Joomla or ispcp or maybe a combination of both.

AFAIK ispcp runs php in fastcgi mode. Maybe this is somehow related to this issue?
The server is equipped with 512MB of guaranteed RAM.

Has anybody seen things like this? I cannot really believe that a php system can cause the server to get this slow. But it happens definitely only with the Joomla 1.6 on my system so far.

Any ideas?

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: vServer performance issues after Joomla 1.6 installation

Post by RussW » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:01 am

Has you run "top" or any server performance monitoring tools to determine how much resources are being used already? How much memory is MySQL, Apache, PHP using already, before adding the additional site? Maybe it's just too much for the resouces you have available/free. Have you tried another J1.5 site to see how much that might effect the perofmance? Not saying that J!1.6 isn't a hungry'er application than J!1.5, but maybe just one more DB app will tip the balance anyway.
Joomla! on the fabulous Sunshine Coast...
hotmango, web & print http://www.hotmango.me/
The Styleguyz https://www.thestyleguyz.com/

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 2.5”