Flash Banner

Discussion regarding Joomla! 2.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
CDNKnights
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Flash Banner

Post by CDNKnights » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:25 am

I have a flash banner for my site which is working wonderfully on some pages but is not loading on others. The problem seems to happen on articles that are 2 or more categories deep.

Category 1 - Displays fine
- -Category 2 - Displays fine
- - -Category 3 - Does not display
- - - -Category 4 - Does not display, etc

The Banner module has been set to display on all pages, and the module itself does display and it properly references the flash file - the problem is the file just doesn't load.

I've checked all the settings in Joomla! that I can think of, as well as double and tripple checking my directory and I've even just copied and pasted the embed src= link and sure enough it goes right to the .swf and plays. I'm at a loss on this one.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
CDNKnights

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Flash Banner

Post by kenmcd » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:50 pm

Please post links to the pages.

██ LibreTraining

CDNKnights
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by CDNKnights » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:34 am

The issue seems to be in the source that flash creates.

Code: Select all

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0" width="1000" height="125" id="flash" align="middle">
	<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
	<param name="allowFullScreen" value="false" />
	<param name="movie" value="flash.swf" /><param name="menu" value="false" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#0b3f18" />	<embed src="flash.swf" menu="false" quality="high" bgcolor="#0b3f18" width="1000" height="125" name="flash" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" />
	</object>
Above is what flash will create when you export your file along with the Javascript flash detect which I just cut out and put in an external file. What I found was that by removing most of above code and simply using

Code: Select all

<embed src="flash.swf" menu="false" quality="high" bgcolor="#0b3f18" width="1000" height="125" name="flash" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" />
	</object>
It works on all the pages... I don't quite understand why this is the case, I just know it works. I've been meaning to post my solution in here for a while now. Seeing your reply reminded me so I decided to post this before I put it off and forgot again. I hope this solutions helps any others out there that are experiencing a similar issue.

Also, if anyone knows WHY this works please let me know as I'm very curious!
Thanks,
CDNKnights

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:51 am

If you are using just the <embed> tag you should not have that closing </object> tag.
That could cause structural problems on the page.

And have you tested this "solution" with multiple browsers?
The nested <object><embed> method is for cross-browser compatibility.

I did want to see the actual pages to see what link is being called for the SWF on each page.
It does not make sense that the same embed code does not work on different pages.
My guess would be the relative link used in your code above was the issue.
But diagnosing that would require seeing it in action.

██ LibreTraining

CDNKnights
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by CDNKnights » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:22 pm

That's what has me stumped. The code I put above is exactly as it appears on ALL the pages... I have this running on a WAMP server which is why I haven't given a link.

Oh, and I did forget one detail. When I was still having the issues with it not displaying I checked it with firebug and noticed there was an extra <embed> tag that wasn't visible in the normal source code (with IE7, IE8, Firefox or Opera). When I copied the extra <embed> from firebug and used that, I got the results I needed.

I have tested it in IE7, IE8, Firefox and Opera on 3 different computers that I have running on my network and everything works fine. The only irregularity I've found is that in IE8 the text displays differently in the Flash banner than it does in the other browsers...IE8 cuts text boxes short, and they don't tween properly. Another complete mystery to me. This is the first time I've ever encountered the contents of a .swf displaying differently in a browser.

Thanks for your time kenmcd.
Thanks,
CDNKnights

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:47 pm

kenmcd wrote:.

And have you tested this "solution" with multiple browsers?
The nested <object><embed> method is for cross-browser compatibility.

The <object> is for IE, and the <embed> is for other browsers.
██ LibreTraining

CDNKnights
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by CDNKnights » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:00 pm

CDNKnights wrote:I have tested it in IE7, IE8, Firefox and Opera on 3 different computers that I have running on my network and everything works fine. The only irregularity I've found is that in IE8 the text displays differently in the Flash banner than it does in the other browsers...IE8 cuts text boxes short, and they don't tween properly. Another complete mystery to me. This is the first time I've ever encountered the contents of a .swf displaying differently in a browser.

I have also tested it with Chrome though I forgot to add that to the list last time. I haven't tried it on a mac yet or with Mac browsers. So far the banner has displayed in ALL browsers I've tested. The ONLY difference is that in IE8 on Vista some of the text boxes in the flash file are cropped and they tween strangely.
Thanks,
CDNKnights

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 2.5”