Paste to new article times out with browser 100% CPU: why?

Discussion regarding Joomla! 2.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jzlcdh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Paste to new article times out with browser 100% CPU: why?

Post by jzlcdh » Fri May 27, 2011 11:49 am

I am trying to paste 44KB into a new article but the browser (both FF4 and IE7) goes up to near 100% CPU and after 2 or 3 minutes stops responding. Problem occurs both in front and back end. Editor is TinyMCE. No problem uploading files via cpanel.

This worked OK previously on a nearer host but perhaps I was on 1.6.1 when I did that test not my current 1.6.3.

Could it be that the paste is trying to go through in tiny chunks thus racking up CPU? Any ideas what I should look at to investigate further?

Regards

Geoff

P.S. There seem to be lots of posts in this forum which are not related to the title of the forum. Maybe the moderator could move them out of the forum or at least discourage off-topic posts as it makes it time consuming to browse through for similar problems to mine?

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Paste to new article times out with browser 100% CPU: wh

Post by RussW » Fri May 27, 2011 10:12 pm

This is not a Joomla! Performance issue, please post in the most appropraite forum (in this case, probably Administration)

As for your issue, have you tested pasted any other data types in to the article, it is most likely that the browser is struggling to read the original data, which although might only be 44kb on file, will have a bunch of macro's and formatting which needs to be read, recognised and formatted in to html before it can present. It could also be your own PC's AV Scanner scanning the file before uploading, it could also be your server with an AV scanner that is picking up that it is a spreadsheet and scanning it as it uploads.
Joomla! on the fabulous Sunshine Coast...
hotmango, web & print http://www.hotmango.me/
The Styleguyz https://www.thestyleguyz.com/

jzlcdh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jzlcdh » Sat May 28, 2011 6:01 am

Thanks for that advice.

On investigation I think you are right that something is doing a lot of work to reformat the spreadsheet to html. But is not that something in fact the editor (TinyMCE in this case) running a script in the browser? And as TinyMCE comes with Joomla does that not count as a Joomla performance issue?

An interesting point is that there also seems to be a relationship with the network speed as a test nearer the hosting site worked a lot faster. So I wonder whether the script is sending chunks backwards and forwards all the time whilst processing.

I am working round the issue by exporting from Open Office as HTML and then pasting in as HTML. But obviously for non-techy users a simple copy and paste would be easier if it could be got to work faster (further testing shows it succeeds in about 5 minutes).

Regards

Geoff

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by RussW » Sat May 28, 2011 8:28 am

Nope, this is not a Joomla! performance issue (or editor), Joomla! is performing just fine, as far as you have described, it is not pushing the servers CPU high, or crashing it, nor is it causing server, MySQL or PHP abends etc.

The issue is between your browser, network and the server network connection.

The browser is having the data type pasted through it's user and network interface, it's network interface is passing packets to your PC's network interface and then on to the internet, through the ISP, to the server, every step between each interface requires an acknowledgement to the originator from the destination that the packet go there, the browser will also be doing the conversion between what you paste and what it can read, xls format to the equivalent markup (xml/html) format. Joomla! isn't involved until the "save" process, and it is your CPU going awry, not the servers, which would be seen during the save process.

Check your networking, Virus Scanner not scanning outgoing files, network speed, ISP anti-virus maybe... Have you installed patched, updates or new browser revision(s) recently?

As an aside; The moderators are working as hard as they can in ensuring topics are correctly posted and match subject matter. The problem is that more often than not, users post in the wrong forums or do not accurately describe their issues in subjects or post content.

jzlcdh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jzlcdh » Sat May 28, 2011 11:01 am

RussW,

Thanks for those suggestions. I will go through and check them later. But first I just want to ask do you know: is the code which converts the OO spreadsheet to HTML supplied by the editor or the browser? I understand it runs in the browser of course but where is the code from? I thought it would be from the editor - not that I am automatically blaming the editor just trying to figure out what comes from where.

Regards

Geoff

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by RussW » Sat May 28, 2011 12:26 pm

How could it be in the editor yet? You loaded the webpage, it loaded the Joomla! page and editor, THEN you pasted what was already in the browser buffer, so it is the browser that is initially reading the data type, not Joomla!.

Joomla! is not involved until you then press the save icon, this is standard operation and Web Browsing 101....

[edit] if you don't like or believe my logic, that's fine, say so and I'll leave it alone and see if someone else has any bright idea's....

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 2.5”