Menu Item - Browser Page Title Bug? Double Words Repeat

Discussion regarding Joomla! 2.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
AriaPlat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Menu Item - Browser Page Title Bug? Double Words Repeat

Post by AriaPlat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:44 am

Hi Joomla community,

This is my first post, glad to join and I hope to contribute positively to the wealth of information out there.

I wish to report a possible bug in Joomla 1.7.3, regarding Menu Items and Browser Page Titles. I am posting this here to confirm and determine whether this is a bug or something else at play with the template.

Under 'Menu Manager: Edit Menu Item', you can set your 'Title' to be, for example, "Cars" - Ideally something short, to go into the menu structure of your website.

However, for the purposes of search engine optimization, I would elaborate on this title in 'Browser Page Title', found under 'Page Display Options'. For example, "We Sell Cheap Cars Direct to the Public"

For some reason, when the word "Cars" is used again in the 'Browser Page Title', both the the words immediately before and immediately after "Cars" is repeated again in the Browser Page Title, on the actual page.

So the <title> on the actual page will read "We Sell Cheap We Sell Cheap Cars Direct to the Public Direct to the Public".

If however the 'Browser Page Title', is set to words that are not used as the 'Menu Item Title', then this problem does not occur. It only occurs when the words used in the 'Browser Page Title', match the 'Menu Title'. However, in 100% of the cases, I want my 'Menu title' to correspond to words that I use in the 'Browser Page Title', for the purposes of SEO.

I have determined that this problem may be related to the specific template I am using (one from Template Monster), as when I swap to other templates, this problem does not occur. So if this is a problem, with the template itself, what could be causing the conflict to occur? Would there be code in /templates/theme783/html/com_content/articles/default.php that I need to alter?

Any insight or help people can provide would be greatly appreciated.

That said, in Joomla 1.7.3, it does not behave like 1.5 in the sense that the article titles get used as browser page titles, as alluded to by Dean Marshall's blog post this issue (http://www.deanmarshall.co.uk/deans-blo ... -view.html). I suspect this needs to be fixed in a future release and my issue may be related to what Dean is talking about here.

Thanks!

DeanMarshall
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Menu Item - Browser Page Title Bug? Double Words Repeat

Post by DeanMarshall » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:05 pm

I haven't seen the <title> tag take both values and use them at the same time like that - is this with Joomla's standard 'com_content' component, or some other component? I can't claim to have dived in too deep with components other than com_content.

Are you using a custom template? If you look inside /templates/<your-template>/html/ is there a com_content folder?

If so, if you rename that entire folder, for example make it gone.com_content clear your browser cache, and flush the cache from within Joomla's administrator area, does the <title> tag issue sort itself out?

My thoughts at this stage are that you may be using a third party template that has 'overrides' that change the way the title is built.

Obviously rename the folder back to its original value after the experiment.

Dean
Dean Marshall Consultancy - six Joomla experts - http://www.deanmarshall.co.uk/

Joomla Experts - Joomla Support http://www.deanmarshall.co.uk/joomla-se ... pport.html

AriaPlat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

(RESOLVED) Browser Page Title Bug? Double Words Repeat

Post by AriaPlat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:10 am

Thanks for the response Dean. I tried all that you suggested but I had no luck. However, I did finally resolve my issue by installing sh404SEF. Best $39 spent this year.

Edit: I should also add that I discovered the problem was an older version of Maximenu that came with the template I purchased from Template Monster. For those who come into similar problems, install the latest version of Maxi Menu (5.24) and that should resolve the title issue. However, a word of warning, if you install the latest version of Maximenu, you may lose your menu template.

So I've had to go back to the old version of MaxiMenu, which template looks better than the new version and sh404SEF at least resolves the original <title> problem. The catch of course is that Maximenu clashes with sh404SEF, causing it to not create custom URLS correctly. Instead of getting 'something.html', MaxiMenu causes sh404SEF to produce urls that look like this: '/?Itemid=something'. I've written to the developer of MaxiMenu to see if there is a way of importing the old templates, into the new version. Awaiting his reply.

brendeneng
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Menu Item - Browser Page Title Bug? Double Words Repeat

Post by brendeneng » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:41 pm

I discovered this problem myself after migrating to 1.7, however I noticed it only did it on some pages. I set my global settings to show title and then within the main menu I opened each item and cleared the alias and saved. Fixed. No more double titles.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 2.5”