Language Home Menu

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 2.5.

Moderators: infograf768, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
mikac
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Language Home Menu

Post by mikac » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Ok, so.. I followed the instructions...
Language pack - Installed
Content Language Installed
ALL modules and content (categories and articles) are duplicated, original ones are set to English.
Language Switcher module enabled
Plugin System Language Filter enabled.
I also duplicated Main Menu items...

And everything is fine except one thing...

Default Home menu is set to ALL languages and I do not know hot to disable it. Now on English version I have Home twice...and on Serbian I have Home and then Translated Home.

How to disable default Home in the Main Menu and set Home Menu for each language?

Thank you!
Milan

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Language Home Menu

Post by infograf768 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:40 am

From
http://docs.joomla.org/Language_Switche ... Joomla_1.6
Defining a Default Home page Menu item per language

As the Language Switcher Module is set to redirect to another Content Language Home Page, one has to be defined for each language. Important Note: A default Home page taggged to "All" should still exist, although the module displaying it does not have to be published.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

mikac
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mikac » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:06 am

Well, that is the problem.. I do no know which module displays the Home page.
I tried to unpublish every single module, and still couldn't find it.

I even followed http://info-graf.fr/ftpfolder/IT-demo.pdf and created new menus for each language but again I do not know which module is displaying Home page menu.
http://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=2enpEbmFXXA and in this tutorial there is nothing about Unpublishing default home page...

Is there any chance that I can find this module position "manually" (although I tried that with firebug, but still no luck)...?

Thank you,
Milan.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:47 pm

Filter your modules by type "menu"
and then look to which menu each of these menu modules link to.
Keep published the modules linking to the menus containing your languages home pages, and unpublish the menu containing the Home page set to "All"

mikac
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mikac » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:09 pm

home menu.PNG
I do not have a clue where is it.
I disabled them all... and it is still published.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:18 am

@mikac
I have no idea what you have been doing. ???

If you like and if the site is not on localhost, you can send me a pm with name/pass for a superadmin and I will check.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:26 am

You are confusing the MENU (mainmenu, mainmenuSR, mainmenu EN, with the menu items in them), and the MENU MODULES which can be called whatever you like.

A MENU MODULE displays a specific MENU. This has always been the case with Joomla. The parameter is present when you edit the module.
This is the basic to do any site with Joomla!.

To get multilanguage to work, just have a MENU (called mainmenu for exemple, or whatever) containing ONLY a Default home menu item set to ALL languages. Create its module if you like and then UNPUBLISH the module and forget it.

The other menu modules (themselves tagged to a specific language) should load ONLY MENUS tagged to a specific language content, these MENUS will contain ONLY MENU ITEMS tagged to the same language.
Among them, each content language should have ONE menu item set to Default in this language

Then you assign your modules to specific positions in your template and the modules that will display on your site depend on the language chosen via langswitcher.

Case;
We have 3 MENUS
DEFAULTALL contains a DEFAULT Home page set to ALL languages.
SERBIAN contains various menu items set to Serbian language AND, among them a DEFAULT Home page set to Serbian
ENGLISH contains various menu items set to English language AND, among them a DEFAULT Home page set to English

We have 3 MENU MODULES
MENUMODULEALL is displaying the menu DEFAULTALL. Set it to ALL and Unpublish.
MENUMODULESERBIAN is displaying the menu SERBIAN. Set it to Serbian and publish.
MENUMODULEENGLISH is displaying the menu ENGLISH. Set it to English and publish

You may add as many MENUS and MENU MODULES as you need. Just tag each to the language desired.

To create the menu items, first create some Categories for each of your component, each tagged to Serbian OR English.
Create items in each of these categories, each of them tagged to the same language as the Category.
Make menu items linking to these, each tagged to the same language.

Modules displaying content should only load categories or items in the same language as the language assigned to the module.

Then you may create other MENUS loaded by MENU MODULES, each set to a specific language and assigned to various positions in your template.

Special case to get the same contents when site is displayed, whatever the language:
---------------
Among all these, you can have a ROOT Parent category set to ALL, all its children categories set to ALL and all its items set to ALL. Then you can have a menu (MYMENUALL) with menu items set to ALL and a MENU MODULE (MYMENUMODULEALL) loading this MYMENUALL assigned to ALL or, if you need to have different parameters per module, 2 MENU MODULES (MYMENUMODULEALL_SERBIAN, and MYMENUMODULEALL_ENGLISH, one per language, each one loading MYMENUALL.

The module(s) will display in each language and give access to the same contents.

mikac
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mikac » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:24 am

Thank you Infograph,

This is really great effort you put out to explain this in detail. I understand perfectly everything you said. And this post is definitely going to be useful for many others creating multilanguage sites.

However, I did everything you said even before this post, and if you look my previous reply you will see that only problem I had was finding the MODULE itself that displays menu containing default home, to have it UNPUBLISHED, which is still a case. And if you remember since you had access to my admin, I had made MENU's MainmenuEN and MainmenuSR (for each language) and offcourse categories and articles for EACH language (taged)...

So, thanks again for your time and help, but I still need to understand why I do not 'SEE' a module containing my default HOME set to ALL (and it's position in the template so I can assign new menu's to it, EN and SR).

Regards,
Milan.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:58 am

You did not.
ALL your menu modules were set to display mainmenu, the same menu that contained the default home page set to ALL.

Look at picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikac
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mikac » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:41 am

Ok.. If that is the case...Then why don't you say.. "Look Milan...here is a picture of the module you should UNPUBLISH and this is the POSITION (in the template) where you should publish your main menu modules for each language."

That I would understand.
Once again, thanks

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:25 am

This is basic Joomla stuff since 1.0.
A MENU MODULE displays a specific MENU.

Concerning the positions, they depend on your template and you are the one to decide.

mikac
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mikac » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:29 am

So basic...and yet you and my template maker JA, still can't find it.
Whichmodule.PNG
Just here will do. And if you still think it's basic, please feel free to log in one more time and kindly tell me that simple position in my template. The one and only thing I need from the beginning.

Milan

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:53 pm

This is not what I see now, but, nevertheless, you are NOT following the directions I explained to you multiple times.

1. Keep ONLY in your main menu one menu item set to all and as default. Unpublish any module loading this menu.
At this stage your mainmenu if filled with stuff.
2. Your content language menus sr and en are NOT used in any module published
3. You again publish 2 menu modules each set to a different content language and loading the same menu "Top" with mixed sr and en tagged menu items, same for the bottom menu.

Last but not least and maybe the base for all your issues, this template is loading without your knowledge mainmenu through its style parameters. See the tab Profile. See picture.

What you should do is to create one more style per language and change the settings for the main navigation (Menutype) menu in the style
Then assign each of the styles to one language, so as to load a mainmenuSR and a maimenuEN in each style parameter.

Unhappily this template does not save the template styles correctly.... and there I can't help :pop

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Some JA templates that I have used do not use a module position for the main navigation.
The main horizontal navigation is hard coded into the template, and is tied to the mainmenu menu.
If you do publish the Main Menu in say the left position, it will be a duplicate of the built-in horizontal navigation bar.

I do not understand fully all that you are discussing but this does affect the situation.

Is it possible that the Main Menu has been copied and there are two menus with mainmenu?
Do not know if that is even possible.

And what JA template are you using?
As far as I know they have only released three templates for J1.6, and that does not look like any of them.

Edit: JM, I guess you posted while I was writing and doing other stuff . . .
██ LibreTraining

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Yep, Ken.

The only real issue with this template (or maybe the user' settings) looks to be the impossibility to make a different style.
I tried on the user site and it was only copying the existing one.
Could not change the name and when changing the settings in the copy, it would just add the same parameters to the other copies.

With different styles of the same template (even if it loads a menu in a harcoded position), the user could implement multilanguage easily.

mikac
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mikac » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks Ken and thank you graph.

Basically I need to make a different style..

Well, can default Joomla 1.6 Duplicate work?
duplicate.PNG
This is one of the 14 Templates released under Joomla! 1.6 and T3 Framework 2 for Joomla! 1.6

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:53 am

mikac wrote:Thanks Ken and thank you graph.

Basically I need to make a different style..

Well, can default Joomla 1.6 Duplicate work?

This is one of the 14 Templates released under Joomla! 1.6 and T3 Framework 2 for Joomla! 1.6
As explained above, I could not duplicate your template.
As I could do it for beez (see you template manager) I guess this is an issue with your template.

The ball is in your template developer camp :pop

mikac
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mikac » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:23 pm

Ok, well.. I did contacted them and they are on the issue. I hope they can solve it since it's pretty important Joomla 1.6 function, multi language site.. at it's basic. Looks like new platform still has some learning to do.

Thanks for the time and useful advice. If you think of anything new..please fell free to post.

Milan

DamirK
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DamirK » Sun May 25, 2014 8:32 pm

You guys helped with resolving my problem with language/switcher!
Thank you

Return to “Language - Joomla! 2.5”