different tags for the same language

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 2.5.

Moderators: infograf768, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
chris_joom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

different tags for the same language

Post by chris_joom » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:46 am

Hi community

I have a question about different language taggs for the same language. I have a site with two main languages english and german.
I have defined a language with de-de for german. But if somebody is from a country like Austria he has the code de-at or from switzerland de-ch. All this three taggs should point on the same language.

Is there a way to use only de- for all german countries and en- for all englich language codes?

I hope my question is understandable?

german language
de-de
de-at
de-ch
All dies language codes should point to the same german content. Or do i have to copy the article three times?

Thank you and BR
Christian

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: different tags for the same language

Post by infograf768 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:55 am

The German language pack is called de-DE, so you can use only ONE instance of de-DE in language content as well as one instance only of the "de" url tagging.
Flags can be changed if desired.

If you wanted to provide specific contents for AT or CH, you would have to install packs with the tag de-AT or de-CH. This can be done by copying and mass-modifying an instance of de-DE.
No use IMHO as this would force you to do it each time the pack is updated.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

chris_joom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chris_joom » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:25 pm

Thank you for your quick answer. I understand. Maybe my brain thinks around five corners. I thought if you living in Austria your browser will have the language code de-at and if you are living in germany the internet browser will have the language code de-de per default?

Thank you & greetings

Christian

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Indeed, the only issue would be the first time the user loads the site, as the browser may not be set to de-DE, then it would load the first content language available in the browser parameters.

Aftert that, a cookie is set and this takes care of it.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

leyys
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by leyys » Sat May 30, 2015 2:35 pm

infograf768 wrote:The German language pack is called de-DE, so you can use only ONE instance of de-DE in language content as well as one instance only of the "de" url tagging.
Flags can be changed if desired.

If you wanted to provide specific contents for AT or CH, you would have to install packs with the tag de-AT or de-CH. This can be done by copying and mass-modifying an instance of de-DE.
No use IMHO as this would force you to do it each time the pack is updated.

Hello,

I have the same problem. But I dont understand how to mass-modify an language install packet. Can you please explain me how to do that?

I changed every "de-DE" to "de-AT" but installing this modified packed failed. What am I doing worng?

Thanks for your help.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 2.5”