Switch language for current page, not return to index?

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 2.5.

Moderators: infograf768, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
gabiosz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Switch language for current page, not return to index?

Post by gabiosz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:59 am

Hi,

I have the language switching working fine, but when I switch it returns me to the index page, which is annoying if a user comes in to a product page from a search engine and wants to switch language.

I am using Zoo with Zoolingual, so all that is needed is a switch from domain.com/index.php/en/catagory/product to domain.com/index.php/ja/catagory/product, instead of which is takes me back domain.com/index.php/ja/ :-\

Any idea how to get around this?

Many Thanks,
Gabriel

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Switch language for current page, not return to index?

Post by infograf768 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:44 am

Read tutorial and use the Menu associations features, if your component permits.
See: http://multilingual.demojoomla.com/en/m ... steps.html

If the site is real huge, this may not be handy as it requires a menu item per item to display.
We do clearly explain in all our tutorials that the native multilanguage feature in 1.7.x may not be advised in your case and that it can't replace a 3pd extension as Joomfish, which is not currently available for 1.7
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

paxwebb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Switch language for current page, not return to index?

Post by paxwebb » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:36 am

gabiosz wrote:Hi,

I have the language switching working fine, but when I switch it returns me to the index page, which is annoying if a user comes in to a product page from a search engine and wants to switch language.

I am using Zoo with Zoolingual, so all that is needed is a switch from domain.com/index.php/en/catagory/product to domain.com/index.php/ja/catagory/product, instead of which is takes me back domain.com/index.php/ja/ :-\

Any idea how to get around this?

Many Thanks,
Gabriel

Did you ever find a solution to this?

Return to “Language - Joomla! 2.5”