[Solved] Three 404 Errors in multilanguage site

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 2.5.

Moderators: infograf768, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Harry_Paraskeva
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

[Solved] Three 404 Errors in multilanguage site

Post by Harry_Paraskeva » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:38 pm

Hello to all,

I am currently developing a multilanguage site (English, Greek) and it all works like a charm. No errors in Multilanguage status, languages installed correctly, homepages setup for all languages, menu item associations all fine and navigation within page for its language all good. Now I have discovered the following three issues.

1. If I am on a Greek page through menu links and change the language to English it takes me to the designated/associated page in English. However if I press the Back button in the browser it gives a 404 error.
2. If I have a URL link (non-menu link) in a Greek page that points to an English page in the site, when I visit the link it directs to the English page, but when I press the Back button it also gives a 404 error.
3. If I open two tabs of the website, set one of them to another language, then on whatever link I press on the site opened in the other tab, gives a 404 error.

Why do these errors occur? Shouldn't the language filter recognize automatically that the previously visited page was in a different language and therefore switch the site to that language? Or in the case of multiple tabs shouldn't it read the last selection of the user across all tabs and switch to that language? Is there a way to work around these?

Thank you for any response.
Last edited by Harry_Paraskeva on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry_Paraskeva
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Three 404 Errors in multilanguage site

Post by Harry_Paraskeva » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Ok, I think I've solved all three issues.

I set "Remove URL Language Code" to No in the Language Filter plugin Basic Options and that seems to have resolved all three issues.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: [Solved] Three 404 Errors in multilanguage site

Post by infograf768 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:38 pm

Are you using 2.5.17?
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Harry_Paraskeva
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice