Are hidden menu's bad for SEO?

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 2.5. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 2.5 extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
lip420
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Are hidden menu's bad for SEO?

Post by lip420 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi~
The majority of pages on my site are in a hidden menu. They link to other pages on the page. So maybe they are not actually "hidden".

I don't use any drop down menus. Basically to get to the page they follow links that are posted on pages.

What do you think?

flashgordonweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Are hidden menu's bad for SEO?

Post by flashgordonweb » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:13 pm

Should be fine. As long as the bots can go from one link to the next, it is not a problem. Basically you are saying you are not displaying a menu, which is OK. Google et al. don't like it when you hide keywords via hidden text (white on white, etc.) or hide links in pages without displaying them, etc.

lip420
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lip420 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:22 pm

Thanks

paulkkarns
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by paulkkarns » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 am

Hi,

Not good for SEO, and also not good for user friendly

Jullian442
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jullian442 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:08 am

I think we should not hide menu because it is not good for seo and also for customers and visitors and I prefer friendly atmosphere and there is no need to hide anything.
Last edited by ooffick on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Mod Note: Removed manual Signature. Please read the Forum rules for details.

lip420
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lip420 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks

matt_davis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by matt_davis » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:42 am

Hello
If you don't want these pages to be indexed in the search engines then disallow them through robots.txt file.

jigneshkumar
I've been banned!

Post by jigneshkumar » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:22 pm

Yes, Hidden menu is considered as blackhat SEO that can harm your ranking and google also does not like this. I suggest you to remove such links.

You should consider social bookmarking or blog commenting for link building.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:37 pm

It really depends on what exactly you are doing. Not having everything on your main menu is not a problem for SEO and I do it all the time. The best thing to do is have a link in your footer to a HTML sitemap that has all your site links accessible to be indexed.

Submitting a xml sitemap to search engines is another way to give them links to your pages.

Google doesn't care if you have a menu showing. They mostly don't want any unnatural stuff going on that appears to confuse or trick visitors.
I don't use any drop down menus. Basically to get to the page they follow links that are posted on pages.
Perfectly acceptable

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:48 pm

https://support.google.com/webmasters/a ... 5769?hl=en

View the guidelines for Help Google Find Your Pages
Ensure that all pages on the site can be reached by a link from another findable page. The referring link should include either text or, for images, an alt attribute, that is relevant to the target page.
Provide a sitemap file with links that point to the important pages on your site. Also provide a page with a human-readable list of links to these pages (sometimes called a site index or site map page).
Limit the number of links on a page to a reasonable number (a few thousand at most).

These are against Google's terms and you are not doing any of these
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66356

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 2.5”