How to duplicate a core template.

Everything to do with Joomla! 2.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
gwmbox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

How to duplicate a core template.

Post by gwmbox » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:34 am

I have been asked this too often for me to remember how many times, so I thought I would add this here to the forum to help others.

While Joomla 1.6 has a duplicate template option, it does not actually duplicate the files of the template so there is a danger that some files could be over written by a future update, either way it is better (imho) that you have a set of your own themes core files for editing etc from the core files.

So here is a guide to duplicate the ATOMIC theme (and yes this can be applied to other themes as well)

You will first need a good text editor that has a good find and replace function from within files (I use TopStyle, there are many others available)

First lets take a copy of the template 'atomic', simply make a copy of the atomic template directory (together with its contents) and rename it to something else, i.e. yourname

Now with your text editor have it replace the following (case sensitive) in the new yourname directory

replace atomic with yourname
replace Atomic with Yourname
replace ATOMIC with YOURNAME

Identify ANY files/folders that have the template name, e.g. language files, change atomic to yourname.

Now using 7-zip (or similar zip program) go inside your templates folder (yourname) and select all folders and files, then right click and select add to yourname.zip and you should end up with a file called yourname.zip

Now in your Joomla 1.6 admin go to Extension Manager and install your new template

All done

Have fun

GW
If you don't ask....
Help yourself, use Firebug with Firefox

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: How to duplicate a core template.

Post by brian » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:46 am

gwmbox wrote:
Identify ANY files/folders that have the template name, e.g. language files, change atomic to yourname.
That should be COPY not CHANGE
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

gwmbox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by gwmbox » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:04 am

brian wrote:
gwmbox wrote:
That should be COPY not CHANGE
No it is change, as in change the file names in the 'new' template folder.

GW
If you don't ask....

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:11 am

mea culpa i forgot that in 1.6 language files can live in the template folder as well and not just the languages folder

vnet
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vnet » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:40 am

it works!

I tried to do it by simply duplicating the directory into templates and replacing the text but did not work.

Zipping the folder and installing from the extension manager works well :)

By the way, if you have a mac try TexFindeX for replace the text. It's free :)

gwmbox, thanks for the tips

Closer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Closer » Sun May 01, 2011 6:13 pm

worked for me too - thank you so much!!

Now I have to learn how to edit it to make it what I want :eek:

gwmbox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by gwmbox » Thu May 05, 2011 12:58 am

Glad it is helping some, hence my reason to post the tip :)

A good text replacer is always needed, I use either TopStyle or Notepadd++ on Windows. Not sure about other OS's I guess trial each text editor to see which gives the best results for replace.

Cheers

GW
If you don't ask....

vnet
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vnet » Thu May 05, 2011 9:50 am

gwmbox wrote:Glad it is helping some, hence my reason to post the tip :)

A good text replacer is always needed, I use either TopStyle or Notepadd++ on Windows. Not sure about other OS's I guess trial each text editor to see which gives the best results for replace.

Cheers

GW
I use TexFinderX on OS X. It's great and free ;)

jappie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jappie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:33 am

Anyone can helkp me with the following: So I copied and replaced the core template with a different name, installed the new template on the server and it is kind of running....
Here is the problem: the (on beez5 based) template works fine with Joomla in "en-EN" language settings (original installation). I also have the Dutch Lanuage pack installed and have this as default! When Dutch /other language selected as default the "fontsize"module is not translated and it writes the name of the xml description(?) (eg: TPL_GRAAFFLORIS_FONTSIZE TPL_GRAAFFLORIS_BIGGER TPL_GRAAFFLORIS_RESETTPL_GRAAFFLORIS_SMALLER) and not the translation. This also happens in the control panel/extentions/templates/style ...on the right side where it should say "small wrapper", "large wrapper", etc. also here it displays the xml description(?) instead of translated text.

I tried a bunch, inscluding modifiying (and copy and replace, etc, etc) language files Also tried adding Dutch language files in the template folder (which is not there)...nothing works....

Thanks in advance

romanrandom
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by romanrandom » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:32 pm

I have the same issue as jappie but in my case I'm not using any additional language...

oddbrawl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by oddbrawl » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Yay this fixed my issue!

TexFinderX worked great.

duyet
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by duyet » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:59 pm

@gwmbox: Good initiative.

I think it would be very useful if there is a FAQ section for each forum and subforum. I see lot of duplicate questions. Your post can be put in there, so others can first have a look at the FAQs iso post a duplicate one.

Dominic108
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Dominic108 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:16 pm

It is perhaps a detail, but in Joomla 2.5, after I copied the core template beez_20, the new template is working, but there are some differences in the administration backend. When I select the position of a module in Module Manager, I have the selection position-0 beez_20 (Search) for the original template and the corresponding selection for the new template is position-0 copy_beez_20 (Position 0). I am losing the information that somehow position-0 is associated with Search. Perhaps, it is only some configuration stored in the database for the core template that was not copied. I would like to make it totally identical, if possible, just to make sure there is no bug.

ryanmbeal
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ryanmbeal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks for the good info.

I did this with Beez5 and I'll just point out that depending on your find and replace method you need to find and replace on both beez5 and beez, Beez5 and Beez, BEEZ5 and BEEZ in the template files.

Also you may have to go back into the Template Manager and reset Advanced Options, like Logo image, Site Name, and Navigation position if you use those.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:58 pm

This method of duplicating core templates is not needed any more. There is a built in option to copy ANY template in the template manager

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 2.5”