Changing templates (the SEO perspective)

Everything to do with Joomla! 2.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
UWTELECOM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Changing templates (the SEO perspective)

Post by UWTELECOM » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Hello everybody,

I am managing a site that is on Joomla! (2.5) and the team and I have already done extensive SEO work (backlinks building,etc) and have managed to rank the site for the keywords we have targeted.

The situation is that we have created a new template for the site to give it a fresh new look and we are soon to install it and proceed with the transition. Of course we have taken care of making sure all CONTENT, like text, alt text on images, titles, and URL's, remain the same to try our best that Google keeps watching the site like it did before, with no content differences.

The only things that has changed on the new template are the structural elements, like id names, classes names, <div> and other tags positions, and of course CSS.

My question is, what do you guys think is gonna happen, would we see any change on the rankings position of the page? or as long as the elements mentioned remain the same (content per se) Google should still look at the page as the same as before and leave us alone?

I appreciate your thoughts

later

Dick. :pop

Bit Stupid
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Changing templates (the SEO perspective)

Post by Bit Stupid » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Basically to my understanding if the url structure of your site alters at all then it will be affected if not then you should probably be OK. There will no doubt be some affect as the page structure changes with any template change (header codes, etc). Best solution is to get the new template running with sitemaps etc ready to fire that to google straight away after changes. Worst case it is a temporary thing, I recently had to change all the product codes on a site and lost all my google ranking but it was for the greater good as the new improved site now ranks way better.

Hope that helps

UWTELECOM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by UWTELECOM » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks for the reply "Bit Stupid"

I will certainly apply the sitemap idea, by making sure a sitemap is implemented in the root of the site directory showing the same url's and pages of the site, that and leaving the titles and content of pages the same are my best changes to not cause a negative effect on the ranking position of site.

lip420
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by lip420 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:01 am

That had an effect on my site. All the titles, content and url's were the same. I changed the template and that changed my rankings (dropped). The structure changed and some of source code did.

bijutoha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bijutoha » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:50 am

Bit Stupid wrote:Basically to my understanding if the url structure of your site alters at all then it will be affected if not then you should probably be OK. There will no doubt be some affect as the page structure changes with any template change (header codes, etc). Best solution is to get the new template running with sitemaps etc ready to fire that to google straight away after changes. Worst case it is a temporary thing, I recently had to change all the product codes on a site and lost all my google ranking but it was for the greater good as the new improved site now ranks way better.

Hope that helps
Bit Stupid! sorry for bothering you.

So, If I think that Search engines read code not templates. So what is your opinion? Is this the right think for me? Basically, recent I'm going to change my site template to kallyas joomla template.
Md. Bakhtiar Uddin
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 2.5”