Beez 20: Changed Column locations after Site Hack [SOLVED]

Everything to do with Joomla! 2.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Beez 20: Changed Column locations after Site Hack [SOLVED]

Post by ilox » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Recently our website – http://penarthanddistrictscouts.org.uk – has undergone a rather nasty hack which we've had to use our backups to recover from. The current problem we have has been in our template which for a number of years has been built up from the Beez–20 Joomla! template.

Though we reloaded it from the backups, for some reason we have the left column transposed to the far right of the page. All of the elements are still in the same positions and the index.php page seems to be completely normal.

Any idea firstly why we might have got this column transposing itself and secondly how can we fix it?

Another problem we are experiencing with this template, or maybe it's within general Joomla! files, is many of our links from the menus give us a 500 error for reasons we are unable to determine. Some of the links we been able to get back working, other links simply refuse to find the files that they are originally allocated to.

We are currently building a new site under Joomla! 3.X but we want to keep this site working as long as we can while we fiddle around with the new site trying to achieve a similar layout.

Any insights would be welcomed.
Last edited by ilox on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Beez 20: Changed Column locations after Site Hack

Post by imanickam » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:01 pm

ilox wrote:Any idea firstly why we might have got this column transposing itself and secondly how can we fix it?
Go to the Template Manager, open the default style for Edit, for the option "Position of Navigation" choose the value "before content".

Probably when the back-ups were taken at that time, the default setting was "after content".

As for as Error 500 is concerned, I would suggest checking in the file .htaccess and in the SEO plugins that you may be using.

What is your site's URL so that others can also observe what is happening and offer suggestions.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Barrya
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Barrya » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi Ian is assisting me with the problems he posted.
I did go to template managed default and changed position to "Before Content" all that happened, is the menu diassapeared and just left a blank space.

the site is
penarthanddistrictscouts.org.uk
This shows what is happening with the menus/content.
Thank you for responding to Ian's post, hope you can help further.
Barry

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:21 pm

imanickam wrote:Go to the Template Manager, open the default style for Edit, for the option "Position of Navigation" choose the value "before content".
As Barry has said, didn't fix it, just left a big blank space.
imanickam wrote:Probably when the back-ups were taken at that time, the default setting was "after content".
Hmm, I have wondered about that but think there is something more going on that has slipped our notice.
imanickam wrote:As for as Error 500 is concerned, I would suggest checking in the file .htaccess and in the SEO plugins that you may be using.
Our .htaccess is the standard Joomla! form and we are running the latest version of Joomla! 2.5.x. Not running any SEO tools.
imanickam wrote:What is your site's URL so that others can also observe what is happening and offer suggestions.
Umm, mate, in the first line of my original post is the URL for our site:
"Recently our website – http://penarthanddistrictscouts.org.uk –..."

If you can help with more suggestions I would be grateful, I have tried all sorts of options and still not found out why the columns have shifted.
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Beez 20: Changed Column locations after Site Hack [SOLVE

Post by ilox » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:49 pm

So with building frustration I was looking through the Layout.css and position.css files. I found an area in one of them (Don't recall which one) that had comments saying that the .left class was for the Navigation to show after the content, the .left1 class was for Navigation before the content.
Back in index.php I was comparing the original file in Beez_20 and our clone of it when I spotted that our clone was using this structure:
<div class="left"
Eureka I cried and jumped out of the bath... well nothing like that but I did add a few choice expletives into the ether before adding a simple numeral 1 to the class making it thus:
<div class="left1"
And there was our template with columns in the right order.
ARRRGGHHH!!!!
Now we can resolve the 500 errors and then look to migrating our site over to Joomla! 3.4.

So looking forward to that challenge NOT!
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 2.5”