how to replace template header image with slider

Everything to do with Joomla! 2.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
meiklejohn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

how to replace template header image with slider

Post by meiklejohn » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:00 am

Hello,

I am working on a site: https://mainegreens.org .

We want to replace the template's header image (swans in a lake) with a random image slider of the exact same dimensions, that will rotate through various images of Maine nature.
We would also like the tree image on the left to continue to overlap the random images in the foreground. The images we would use in the slider are also nature photos that would work with the tree superimposed over them.
How do I install a random image slider, of the same dimensions and that still preserves the superimposing tree in the foreground, as a permanent fixture of the template?
I appreciate any help that can be provided, as I am still a bit of a novice in all this.

Thanks!
BJM

Jay44
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: how to replace template header image with slider

Post by Jay44 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:46 am

Hi, I think you are suffering from super complicated template design, which designers ::love:: the look of, but as you are now discovering, they are not easy to alter.

To add an image module that rotates, you would add it to one of the top "banner1" positions (but this position name will change depending on template). To get other images to match up with the tree image will be diabolical (well for me, as I am a s/w engineer not a graphic designer).

There are many ways to build the template, and keeping it modular is the best way to go if you want to be able to easily alter it.

I can see module positions for
extra1
extra2
banner1

so with a bit of investigation of the Modules, you might find the top of the tree displayed in one of these?

I'm not sure, as this type of image is often done as one hard coded into the background image.

The problem with this type of hard coding is that the images are usually "responsive".

Your options are to
1. contact the template designer and see what information of help they can give you
- module positions for the template images
- if/how they are coded in the index.php
- ask for directions on adding the rotating banner.
2. upgrade the whole site to Joomla 3, and choose a new responsive template !

The image manipulation program I use is from Joomla Bamboo, and it is called Zentools2, and it is very powerful - it can do rotating banners, and a lot of other things. $30 USD

Not sure that has been much help! Always lots to learn with joomla!

- J
"Things not being necessary is what makes life interesting" -- Stephen Fry
This is necessary - http://docs.joomla.org/

pmleconte
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: how to replace template header image with slider

Post by pmleconte » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi,

I agree with Jay, your template and Joomla version are outdated. I tried your template with Joomla version 3.8.3 and, of course, it is not compatible at all.

Everything is "hardcoded" in templates/forestv5/css/template.css (your swans are defined at line 421 ../images/header.jpg...)

So either you replace this image keeping the same name or you change the name in css file to your new image.

If you want to remove your image and use a slideshow module instead, you'll have to modify your templates/forestv5/index.php, that between lines 48 and 50:
- replace line that contains div class=art-header by div with no class
- add a new position to your template

I tried to put the full explanation of this in the current message, but it did not work, so see attached file.

Regards,

Pascal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If anything can go wrong, it will.
https://www.conseilgouz.com/en

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 2.5”