In need of a cheap j2.5 template

Everything to do with Joomla! 2.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
wabisuke
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

In need of a cheap j2.5 template

Post by wabisuke » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:24 pm

Hello.
As you can read in the title, I am in need for a cheap but responsive template for joomla 2.5.
I am trying to find a cheap solution for the owner of a certain website. It was left alone for far too long by the previous administrators/owners and the new one wants to update it/upgrade it a bit but they have very limited budget (~100€).
So designing the whole thing from scratch in joomla 3.xx is out of the question.
what is the safest way to do something about it without messing everything up?
The good news is the website in question is more like a blog so they don't have many expectations or needs.
I posted the question in a few generic forums and they all had the same answer: "migrate them to WordPress and be done with it" but i am too scared to do something like that even with the migration plugin i discovered :P
Are there any other options?

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: In need of a cheap j2.5 template

Post by AlexVega » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:35 pm

wabisuke wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:24 pm
Hello.
As you can read in the title, I am in need for a cheap but responsive template for joomla 2.5.
I am trying to find a cheap solution for the owner of a certain website. It was left alone for far too long by the previous administrators/owners and the new one wants to update it/upgrade it a bit but they have very limited budget (~100€).
So designing the whole thing from scratch in joomla 3.xx is out of the question.
what is the safest way to do something about it without messing everything up?
The good news is the website in question is more like a blog so they don't have many expectations or needs.
I posted the question in a few generic forums and they all had the same answer: "migrate them to WordPress and be done with it" but i am too scared to do something like that even with the migration plugin i discovered :P
Are there any other options?
Hi there,

Well, The last update for J2.5 was around December 10, 2014, the update to the latest J3 is not just for the number, there are many security, functionality, infertace, workflow, and more that you need to consider. Also if your client are running J2.5, probably is running an old PHP versión, wich is also insecure and low performance.

If the template is free then you dont need desig anything, you only need migrate the content, wich is the same process if you consider to migrate to another CMS, so why not just update the site?.

Check the step by step to migrate from 2.5 to the latest J3 here:
https://docs.joomla.org/Portal:Upgrading_Versions

Find some template providers here:
https://resources.joomla.org/category/custom-templates

wabisuke
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wabisuke » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:16 pm

My knowledge of Joomla is a bit rusty.. Haven't used it for a while so I asked some people who are more fluent and up-to-date than me of their opinion. They told me the same thing you did: The joomla and php versions are too old and have major security issues and whatnot, BUT they also told me that upgrading to joomla 3 without everything breaking apart would take nothing short of a miracle and that i should really convince the client to either save their money and do a complete make-over once they have enough, or ask for a written permission to experiment with the website and try upgrading to joomla 3 or find a template for 2.5 and try installing it, both at my own risk.
In the 2nd scenario, I would bear no responsibility, but i don't consider that a solution... Even if the client miraculously gave me such a written confirmation it would feel like i scammed them.
If memory serves me joomla 2.5 allowed for a full site backup. is that still the case? and if upgrading to joomla 3 f..s up everything will i be able to go back to the current state?
Thanks and sorry for the long text.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:31 pm

wabisuke wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:16 pm
Haven't used it for a while so I asked some people who are more fluent and up-to-date than me of their opinion.
Good idea! It's also a good idea to listen to people who actually know what they're talking about.

wabisuke wrote:
They told me the same thing you did: The Joomla and PHP versions are too old and have major security issues and whatnot ...
Correct! I can't dispute that! I agree wholeheartedly with those observations. It's entirely your choice to use an outdated version of J! (together with an outdated, unsupported version of PHP) and run the risk that your website will be compromised at some time.

wabisuke wrote:
... BUT they also told me that upgrading to Joomla! 3 without everything breaking apart would take nothing short of a miracle ...
I don't know who told you that but it's not entirely true. The solution depends on what your website is trying to do. If the website is using some arcane, obscure set of extensions that no-one has heard about (and they're vital to the business) then perhaps that statement has some applicability in the circumstances. On the other hand, I have successfully migrated several J! 2.5 websites (and I know other people who have migrated J! 2.5 websites) and the process is not something requiring a miracle. It's a process. The process takes time. If you have the time then you can make it work.

wabisuke wrote:
... I should really convince the client to either save their money and do a complete make-over once ...
Yes. Another good idea. Before you do that, however, either get your J! skills sharpened or talk things over with someone who is sharper with J!-based websites than you. 8)

wabisuke
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wabisuke » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:20 pm

I plan to do both..
I thought J would be like riding a bicycle: no matter how long you have to use it you would remember everything after getting back on it. Apparently, it's not.
I do remember we could somehow take a full backup of the website.. Is that still the case?
If so, then i guess i can experiment a bit on the website.. and if everything goes south i just restore the backup.
Thanks for your time and answers. See you on j3 section (hopefully :P)

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:45 pm

wabisuke wrote:I do remember we could somehow take a full backup of the website.. Is that still the case?
Of course. Get one of the backup extension from the JED at https://extensions.joomla.org/tags/backup/, for example the popular Akeeba Backup (no affiliation).
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by AlexVega » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:13 pm

To complement, here you can download the correct versión according to your PHP versión:
https://www.akeebabackup.com/compatibil ... eebabackup

wabisuke
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wabisuke » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:12 pm

thank you all very much! i will let you know how the experiment goes :P

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 2.5”