Module install error -1 - An error has occurred. copy failed

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 2.5.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
JudyAnn
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Module install error -1 - An error has occurred. copy failed

Post by JudyAnn » Wed May 25, 2022 8:51 pm

I have to update an existing custom module in an old Joomla 2.5 site, and it has been giving me this error and "return to Control Panel".

I have tried to update it manually as well, and while the server shows the newer files, the site is still referencing the old files. (Using Chrome Developer tools to look at the .js file that is being executed).

I have cleared as many caches in the admin of the site as possible, several times.

The site is hosted in-house (state government) on a Linux server, running with Apache and MariaDB.

What am I missing - why is the site using an old version of the code? Where would it be located? Is there a DB table that could be holding this old code reference?

I have attached a .txt file with the output of an attempt using the error logging function.
Last edited by toivo on Thu May 26, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: attachment removed

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Module install error -1 - An error has occurred. copy failed

Post by AMurray » Wed May 25, 2022 10:13 pm

My first comment is why are you using an obsolete version of Joomla that could be a security risk to your web server and other systems?

Is the module a custom written module or publicly available?

What do you mean "update it manually" -- if you only copied the files, it probably won't work - did you do the database changes as well? (that's what the installation process would take care of).

Wouldn't it be in the /modules folder?

Can you run the FPA and post its report here? We need to see more about your server and Joomla config.
https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed May 25, 2022 10:29 pm

The name of the file you are installing is mod_tap_award_estimator_javascript-1.17.1b.zip. Is it really an installable extension, compatible with Joomla 2.5?
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

JudyAnn
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by JudyAnn » Thu May 26, 2022 1:53 pm

Its the naming convention we have been using since 2016, with a new version of the module for each year, without a problem. And the code in it is based off of the last valid version, so I don't know why it wouldn't be installable.

JudyAnn
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by JudyAnn » Thu May 26, 2022 3:06 pm

I did manage to update the files manually. Turns out I need to curse the man who wrote this module, and his lack of documentation of how it works.

But the install function is still broken.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri May 27, 2022 4:29 am

Can you install other Joomla 2.5 extensions as a test? If you can, I'd say the issue is with the packaging of the module mod_tap_award_estimator. Maybe the tmp folder in Global Configuration is still pointing to the old server.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

JudyAnn
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by JudyAnn » Tue May 31, 2022 7:40 pm

I was able to install a different module. I will look into the packaging to see if I can figure out what is wrong with this custom in-house module.

Oh, and the question of referencing the old files - turns out it is loading the files in question to both /modules and /media because of how the guy who built it and didn't document what he did... argh!

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 2.5”