Good way to upgrade core functions

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 2.5.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
sosojni
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Good way to upgrade core functions

Post by sosojni » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:47 pm

For my current project i created new menu type item for categories so administrators can now select not only category blog or list view but they can now choose tab view.
Creating new view didn't need no any file hacking, i just had to add my files into com_content and everything works really nice.

What i would like to do now is to make this "installable" so that next time i need my articles viewed in tabs i can install this just like i install module, component or plugin.

What i need is a advice on how to do that. How to "upgrade" com_content the right way? Is it ok to "intrude" com_content component and just install my files from my own component into it or is there a way to leave all files needed in my component dir (com_content_tabbed for example) and tell com_component to look for files needed there?

I'm asking this because installing one component files into another component dir just doesn't sounds right.

sosojni
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Good way to upgrade core functions

Post by sosojni » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:14 am

anyone? I dont need exact guide or how to, i just need a suggestion and or discussion how it should be done "right way"....my..."wrong" way i know and it's working perfectly but i don't know is it for general use.

But more i think about it, more it smells like plugin.

Turbo2011
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Turbo2011 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:21 am

maybe you check this article:
http://speakingofcomputers.[URL banned].com ... ayout.html

if it is just another displaying option you should - in my opinion - just add the view to com_content because the component serves you with all the data needed.

sosojni
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sosojni » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:01 pm

I allready have done this. I implemented tabbed view option for categories and it's working fine.
What i would like to do is to make this "installable" and "uninstallable". I know exactly what files i need (good thing is that there is no modifiyng any core files, only adding new ones in dirs that already exist) and where i need em.
What i dont know is how to make it "system" frendly...what i can do now is create plugin instalation that would just add files to existant component (com_content) and it will work fine, no doubdt about it. But it doessnt feel "right" to place files from one plugin inside dir of another component. I'd like to get advice about that...is it possible to keep all files needed inside plugin dir and somehow tell joomla to use em too.

Maybe i'm over exaturating problem that's not even a problem...maybe it's 100% ok to put files from my plugin into com_content component...

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 2.5”