Contacts extension that allows multiple categories for each

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 2.5.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
scutec
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Contacts extension that allows multiple categories for each

Post by scutec » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:25 am

I don't know if anyone mentioned a version number, but I have this problem with Joomla! 2.5.19. For the record: I don't mean users and user groups. In users you can put users in more groups. I am reffering to CONTACTS and CONTACT categories. One contact can only be in ONE category. It would be very handy to say the least, if a contact could be in more than one category (or another construction to group contacts in several groups) as described in the first post of this subject:
slovell wrote:Does anyone know of a contacts extension that allows you to assign a contact to more than one category? For instance, if I have the categories:

- Sales
- R&D
- Social club

and I want Joe Fearbringer to be in both Sales and Social club, is there a contacts extension that allows this?

TIA
Shaun
Last edited by Per Yngve Berg on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod. Note: Split post out of a topic in the 1.5 forum. Please use the forum for you version of Joomla

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Contacts extension that allows multiple categories for e

Post by dhuelsmann » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Hmmm...I don't have any problem assigning a registered user to multiple contact categories in the stock contact component of 2.5.19.
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

scutec
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by scutec » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Neither do I. I don't have a problem assigning a USER to different USER groups or connecting different contacts to one user. But I DO have a problem assigning one CONTACT to different CATEGORIES (for CONTACTS). Please mark the difference between USERS and CONTACTS here. (my apologies for the capitals, I don't want to "shout", but I just want to point out very clearly where obviously the cause of a big misunderstanding lies). It's all about CONTACTS and has absolutely nothing to do with USERS! What I want is making a CONTACT and putting that contact in different "groups", where the only grouping possibility for contacts in Joomla! are CATEGORIES (contact categories). If there is an extention or plug in that makes it possible to group contacts in an other way, that is also fine as long as I can put one contact in different (contact-) groups. So forget about the users, it's only about contacts.

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by dhuelsmann » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:49 pm

Something is wrong in either your or my definitions of contacts. You can create a contact not linked to a user and place it in a category. Then you re-create that same contact and you place it in a different category. And so on. So, yes one contact can be in multiple categories. You can't however, create one contact and just check off multiple categories which I think is where you are having the issue??
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

scutec
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by scutec » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:22 pm

That's right: "You can't however, create one contact and just check off multiple categories which I think is where you are having the issue??".This is exactly what I would want. I just want some sort of address list with different functons (lists) for each contact and I don't want to make all these contacts users, which is not necessary for any other reason. Re-creating a contact (the only solution I know now) to me means making multiple entities/copies of the same name+address+phone (etc.) data. This redundancy solution seems to be the only one available, but is obviously what no one in his right mind would want, since it is more work in administring and a bigger risk for errors. Again, I am not fixed on categories myself, if some extention has another way of grouping contacts in different groups at the same time then that is O.K. with me too. The thing is, I want to make ONE entity of any person's name+address+phone (etc) data, without redundancy and be able to show these data grouped in different ways. For instance John Doe, who is secretary of the board, but also contact for a group of wine makers and the same John Doe is in a committee of some sort. Not all wine makers and not all committee members are also in the board of managers. So when I show the group of wine makers John Doe is listed together with i.e. Peter Griffin, Jo Dimaggio, Barney Rubble and Fred Flintstone. When I show the group of committee members it's John Doe, Barney Rubble and Wilma Flintstone. The board is John Doe, Al Pacino, Fred Flintstone and George Bush. So John Doe is in all three groups, but none of the others is. That is a real life situation, which obviously doesn't only occur to me. I've seen many questions like mine on different forums, bun nowhere there is an appropriate answer. If there seems to be an answer, links to apparent solutions are unfortunately "dead links".

farmeunit
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Contacts extension that allows multiple categories for each

Post by farmeunit » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:57 am

Same issue. The Contacts doesn't have an option to display by Tags. I have teachers for several subjects, which I can do with tags, but if I want to show a teacher that teachers 7th and 8th Grade English, I can only use English, not 7th and 8th.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 2.5”