Cannot select a "translation of" for new articles

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 2.5.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jmarquezrpaa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Cannot select a "translation of" for new articles

Post by jmarquezrpaa » Sat May 02, 2020 6:06 pm

We have our website running in two languages, English and Spanish. I'm trying to setup our home page banner with the correct articles but whenever I try to pick the translation to link I get a "No valid database connection: DB function failed with error number 1146" error. From the table name listed, I can see that it does exist, but it's trying to fetch from a table that does not have the articles and rather from...something else, honestly not sure what these records belong to.

Again, I am not a webdev and did not setup this site, but I was handed it with the expectation that I can fix it. I know that generally Joomla database tables start with the prefix "jos_" but the somehow the article manager is trying to pull from a different prefix, how can I change this?

Unrelated, I had mentioned in a previous post that I was going to try to update to the newest version of Joomla but there are too many moving parts in this one that I have no idea what they do. I don't get paid enough and I'll most certainly accidentally break the site, so that's getting tabled for now lol.
Last edited by imanickam on Wed May 06, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum Language - Joomla! 2.5 to the forum Extensions for Joomla! 2.5

jmarquezrpaa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Cannot select a "translation of" for new articles

Post by jmarquezrpaa » Mon May 04, 2020 10:10 pm

I figured out that Joomla is trying to pull from #_content which is definitely where the articles are, I just had not noticed the button for flipping through record pages (I'm dumb). I figured maybe I could edit the "translation of" attribute directly from the database but I don't see it in the content table. For whatever reason, Joomla still thinks the table doesn't exist when I use the "translation of" button before posting an article.

Am I just out of luck?

Also, I can't edit my own post? I figured it'd be better than posting a reply to myself.

EDIT: I guess you can before a certain amount of time. I think I found the possible issue, version mismatch.

Extensions -> Database says: Database schema version (2.5.28) does not match CMS version (3.6.3-2016-08-16).

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:47 am

You may be in bad shape. Sorry to say that. Joomla is now at 3.9.18.
I guess that using the Fix button in Extensions =>database may not be enough.
Also no idea what you mean by "translation of" attribute. A screen capture posted here would help.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

jmarquezrpaa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmarquezrpaa » Tue May 05, 2020 2:28 pm

Oops, I should've included a screenshot from the beginning. And yeah I may be in bad shape, I have no idea why there's so many extensions installed and I don't want to risk the update breaking the site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:47 am

You are in even worse shape than I thought. Your site is still using the older Joomfish component. That component has not been updated since we implemented the multilingual associations in Joomla.
https://www.thinknetwork.com/joomfish/

Be aware that it is likely that your site is vulnerable and should be redone with J last version.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

jmarquezrpaa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmarquezrpaa » Wed May 06, 2020 1:50 pm

Ah, so updating our Joomla version to the newest would definitely break the site. What a time to be alive, I'll have to figure something out then. Thanks for the help!

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 2.5”