major user login issue

Discussion regarding Joomla! 2.5 security issues.

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant / FPA - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
wernejo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

major user login issue

Post by wernejo » Tue May 09, 2017 7:32 am

Hi Everyone,

I am well aware that Joomla 2.5 is no longer supported but I need help with an old website that I look after.

The website has a members only area that requires a user login. user accounts are only given to staff members and users can't register online. It started about November last year, we got a report that one of our members was going to the website but found that they were already logged in as another user. The strange thing is that the user account that was already logged in was for another person on the other side of the country and the two had never met nor did they even know each other. so how could two people who have never shared a computer before have one of their user accounts come up as already logged on another computer?

Next, we found that it was only happening to 3 people and couldn't find an answer so we figured it was just a once off glitch and that changing the passwords would fix it. this auto-login was only happening on occasion so we didn't think much of it.

Now I've been informed that its happening to everyone and now no one can even log into the website. every time someone goes to the login page, a message appears saying that "Your session has expired. Please log in again."

I've never seen anything like this and really need to get this fixed. has anyone seen anything like this before?
Last edited by toivo on Tue May 09, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved, not related to 2.5 Performance

Return to “Security in Joomla! 2.5”