Subdomain website hacked (Joomla 2.5)

Discussion regarding Joomla! 2.5 security issues.

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant / FPA - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
deheij
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Subdomain website hacked (Joomla 2.5)

Post by deheij » Tue May 15, 2018 6:39 pm

A few days ago my Joomla 2.5 (subdomain)website was hacked:

http://subdomain.domain.nl/ is not working anymore. It returns with index.htm not found. However when I typed http://www.domain.nl/subdomain/index.php the complete website runs okay. Besides that, there were added about a hundred administrators (*.ru). I deleted them all, as far as that makes sense....

I don't have a backup. What shall I do first to make it work again, before updating to Joomla 3.x?

Then, there's another minor problem: On almost every page there's an error: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/.../templates/.../functions.php on line 560 .

How to solve that one?

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Subdomain website hacked (Joomla 2.5)

Post by mandville » Tue May 15, 2018 6:58 pm

you didnt tell us HOW it was hacked, was it defaced, malicious files?
your errors are probably because files were corrupted in the hack
complete this viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582854
then as soon as you have a working 2.5 site either migrate to j3 or just rebuild your site in j3
then slap yourself because after all this time you still havent learnt how to make a backup
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Return to “Security in Joomla! 2.5”