Trouble installing website backup on localhost

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Kamal_149
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Trouble installing website backup on localhost

Post by Kamal_149 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:34 am

I’m trying to get some Joomla sites running on my localhost (osx Yosemite 10.10.5) and have not been able to achieve this so far. I have installed version of XAMPP relative to Joomla version installed on website (XAMPP 5.3.36 for Joomla 3.5 with PHP 5.6.36). I have only worked on live Joomla sites, so this is the first time developing on localhost. I would really appreciate some experienced advice.
These have been the 2 processes I have tried so far:

Process 1 using Akeeba

1. Login to Joomla Admin and backup site using latest Akeeba backup
2. Download Backup via cPanel
3. Download Akeeba Kickstart
4. Download and install XAMPP-osx 5.6.36
5. Launch XAMPP app and start all servers
6. Copy website backup (jpa file) and kickstart.php to empty folder XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/website
7. Edit Sharing & Permissions to Read & Write for all enclosed items in folder
8. In browser (Chrome) go to http://localhost/website/kickstart.php
9. Using default settings start extraction
10. Enter Database server host name: localhost, user name: root and db name) – database is restored successfully
11. Site set up default remains the same – when prompted click Clean Up
12. Click “Visit your site’s frontend” and I get 404 error message
13. When I click on “Visit your site’s backend” I get a blank white screen

Process 2 without Akeeba

1. Go to website cPanel and download all files in public_html and corresponding sql database
2. Copy public_html folder to XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/ and rename folder (eg website_2)
3. Edit Sharing & Permissions to Read & Write for all enclosed items in folder
4. Launch XAMPP app and start all servers
5. Go to localhost/phpmyadmin and create a new database matching sql file downloaded and import file
6. In website root folder (website_2) edit configuration.php as follows:

- public $user = 'root'
- public $password = '';
- public $db = 'database_name’;
- public $log_path = '/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/website_2/log';
- public $tmp_path = '/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/website_2/tmp';
- public $cookie_domain = '';
- public $cookie_path = '';

7. In browser (Chrome) go to http://localhost/website_2 and I get the same 404 error message
8. When I go to http://localhost/website_2/administrator I get a blank white screen

I have tried both processes with a couple of Joomla sites – both failing to load up once installed on localhost using XAMPP – I have also tried using AMPP and I got less further as it wouldn’t recognise sql databases (tried various fixes that got me nowhere). Tried using MAMP, which installed everything, but again showed error in browser.

Any help in getting this resolved would be massively appreciated… THANK YOU!

jdran
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Trouble installing website backup on localhost

Post by jdran » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:18 am

My first guess (without being an expert) is that there's possibly a bug with Yosemite.
Check Jose Torres' answer here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/138 ... ing-in-osx
but I have a feeling it won't help you.. at least I hope it will gives you a direction?
Have you tried moving the website to another server online and not locally?

Kamal_149
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Trouble installing website backup on localhost

Post by Kamal_149 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:35 pm

jdran - Thanks for your reply. Yes, I thought about updating my OS to High Sierra to see if this helps - will try this next... haven't tried moving to another server online either, but think this is also worth investigating. From all that I've read online, the process I've been performing appears to be correct. However, I have tried this out on a Windows PC and I get exactly the same results - so there must be something that I'm missing out... somewhere along the way. I'll try out your suggestions and update with outcome. Many thanks!!

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”