WebMatrix Joomla Install Problem

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
husky7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

WebMatrix Joomla Install Problem

Post by husky7 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:05 am

I tried to install joomla on my computer(localhost) using WebMatrix and MySQL 6.19 which I already had installed. No luck, it just gave the following error:-

Microsoft Web Application Gallery
---------------------------
The source is invalid.
Cannot connect to the database ''.
Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I then uninstalled the MySQL from my computer thinking that that may be the problem.
Once again using WebMatrix I tried to install joomla and MySQL together from the WebMatrix site gallery. After filling in passwords etc it came back with the same error:-

Microsoft Web Application Gallery
---------------------------
The source is invalid.
Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I would appreciate it if anyone has any idea what is wrong here.

husky

SCEngineer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: WebMatrix Joomla Install Problem

Post by SCEngineer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:23 pm

I had the same problem. Did some digging and found out that the first password is the one you gave mySql when you created it. The second is one that you come up with for the mySql Account. I downloaded a program called MySQL Workbench 5.2 CE to see what was happening inside of MySql.

I actually deleted the joomla database inside MySql and then started over and it worked.

markjbrown
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markjbrown » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:56 pm

Yes, that error is caused when you put the incorrect root password into the WebMatrix dialog during installation. btw, I know that's a stupid error message, we can't get a decent error message out of MySQL.

The fix is to either completely uninstall MySQL (btw, you need to delete the files in the /Program Data/ folder or put the correct root password into the dialog.
Mark Brown
Microsoft Web Platform Team
www.microsoft.com/web/joomla
@markjbrown

husky7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by husky7 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks markjbrown for your reply it was spot on. :D After reading your message I went back and entered the DB Administrator password that I had used for the previous installed MySQL version and the whole thing worked!!!! Amazing. The really puzzling thing is that the previous MySQL DB was, as I said in my original post, uninstalled and a new version installed along with joomla using WebMatrix. Somehow the DB administrator password has been retained throughout this process - go figure. Perhaps it keeps the config data in a separate file hidden away somewhere. Anyway thanks.

regards
husky

markjbrown
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markjbrown » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:15 am

Yes, on Windows that stuff sits in the /ProgramData/MySQL/ directory on Windows. It is a hidden directory but if you change you options for Explorer to show hidden directories you can go view it.

Glad its working for you now.
Mark Brown
Microsoft Web Platform Team
www.microsoft.com/web/joomla
@markjbrown

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”