Installation hangs on Step 1 - Language Selection

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Tylee23
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installation hangs on Step 1 - Language Selection

Post by Tylee23 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:47 pm

reading all of these 'solutions' is greek to me. Still hanging on Step 1 and can't get past it.

I've tried Firefox 6.0.1 and IE9 -- no luck. Site is hosted on Apache 2.0 w/php version 5.2.5

thanks,

der_fred
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by der_fred » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:11 pm

I had the same problem today and none of the tips help me to solve it.

In desperation I tried something strange: instead of installing joomla directly within the web page directory /webspace/my_new_site/ I created a subdirectory /webspace/my_new_site/joomla/. After changing the apache configuration to point to this subdirectory and restarting apache I was able to complete the Joomla installation!!!

Note: The .htaccess file was not moved to the subdirectory, so it is still in /webspace/my_new_site/.htaccess

I hope this helps others to solve this issue.

JohnQPublic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JohnQPublic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:47 am

anavailati wrote:Hi guys!
I had the same issue.

What solved the problem for me was to run the php on apache module instead of FastCGI. You can go back and reset to the original after installation.

Hope it helps someone :)
How did you do that? I would like to try that approach.

keysonic
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by keysonic » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:33 pm

i had the same Problem
Joomla 1.7.1 won't get to step 2 on Installation
Fix this Error in php.ini
Set session.use_cookies = 1
This work for me

cavemann
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cavemann » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:35 am

keysonic wrote:i had the same Problem
Joomla 1.7.1 won't get to step 2 on Installation
Fix this Error in php.ini
Set session.use_cookies = 1
This work for me
already have this set and still doesn't work for me.

exrace
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by exrace » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:23 pm

I ran into same issue on fresh plesk/parallels setup. This was the error in the error_log: session_write_close(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct

Ended up being the "/var/lib/php/session" was not writable for fastcgi. I ended up adding a custom session path for the site...issue solved.
Love, Live PHP.
Love, Live Joomla!
Super Sonic Man...do you want to buy a RockeTheme rocket? -Gary Jules

newuserdec
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by newuserdec » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:45 pm

I am using CentOS 6, PHP 5.3.2 and I am trying to install Joomla! 1.7 in an AFS directory. Its hangs at step 1 and when using IE it shows the following errors. I have tried the solutions suggested by people in this forum but to no avail.
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; GTB7.2; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:40:45 UTC

Line: 104
Char: 3
Code: 0
URI: http://myhost/joomla/installation/templ ... llation.js

Line: 37
Char: 5
URI: http://myhost/joomla/installation/index.php

Line: 473
Char: 25
URI: http://myhost/joomla/media/system/js/mootools-core.js

Line: 69
Char: 1

Line: 69
Char: 1

I thought it was a file permissions issue and set everything to 777 but still does not work. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Navdeep1964_
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Navdeep1964_ » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:49 pm

hi,
here is the error msg in log
[Fri Feb 10 21:41:31 2012] [error] [client ::1] PHP Warning: session_write_close(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (\xe2\x80\x9c/var/lib/php/session\xe2\x80\x9d) in /var/www/html/Joomla/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 633, referer: http://localhost/Joomla/installation/index.php
all solutions offered are not working. i am using fedora16x86_64.
wordpress and other scripts ok.
"never seen such a poor product"
everybody is facing same problem due to one thing or other that speak about this crap product.
tried on 1.7 and 2.5.1 so called stable version.
should take a lesson from wordpress 5 minute install.

andy

timowen001
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by timowen001 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:42 am

Hi there,

I just had this frozen language selection issue and solved it by changing the folder permissions on the /var/lib/php/session folder from 770 to 775.

I am however on a virtual server where i control the OS. You may need to contact your hosting provider.

Once I had installed Joomla however I now get a "Internal Server Error" when I try to install extensions / components. Any ideas on that one?

Regards

Tim

creativesights
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by creativesights » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Fixes worked for me. All about adjusting the php.ini file.
Andrew Crossan
CreativeSights
Professional Custom Website Design & Development in San Diego
https://www.creativesights.com

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:47 am

Navdeep1964_ wrote:hi,
here is the error msg in log
[Fri Feb 10 21:41:31 2012] [error] [client ::1] PHP Warning: session_write_close(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (\xe2\x80\x9c/var/lib/php/session\xe2\x80\x9d) in /var/www/html/Joomla/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 633, referer: http://localhost/Joomla/installation/index.php
all solutions offered are not working. i am using fedora16x86_64.
wordpress and other scripts ok.
"never seen such a poor product"
everybody is facing same problem due to one thing or other that speak about this crap product.
tried on 1.7 and 2.5.1 so called stable version.
should take a lesson from wordpress 5 minute install.

andy
The session.save_path on your server is not writeable. This has nothing to do with Joomla and everything to do with the server configuration. Speak to your host to rectify this, or configure the server correctly if self-hosted.
Version 2.5.1 is now out-of-date and 1.7.x is no longer supported, so suggest you also use an up-to-date release!
Also, please do not make such sweeping "generalisations" either it helps no one at all!

creativesights
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by creativesights » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Andy,

Your suggestions are solid and I agree that generalizations like that are useless. However, I don't think someone who's logged on only once and made one toxic post is really looking for help either.

[/quote]
The session.save_path on your server is not writeable. This has nothing to do with Joomla and everything to do with the server configuration. Speak to your host to rectify this, or configure the server correctly if self-hosted.
Version 2.5.1 is now out-of-date and 1.7.x is no longer supported, so suggest you also use an up-to-date release!
Also, please do not make such sweeping "generalisations" either it helps no one at all![/quote]
Andrew Crossan
CreativeSights
Professional Custom Website Design & Development in San Diego
https://www.creativesights.com

media4u
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by media4u » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:01 am

Hi fellows and gals,
I've got the same issue on Joomla 2.5 installation on Windows 8 with FF latest. After reading your messages, I've contacted my host techsuppport and they turned session_write_close(): to accept sessions or make it writable. No questions asked.
Installation continued flawlessly and just as quick as WP (I did it one hour earlier, just for training purposes).
Thank you for your time and effort to help newbekons like me and others. :D

nottsjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nottsjoomla » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:05 pm

If the session save path is not writable by your user then you can add a custom save path in .htaccess (if allowed by your webmaster).

Create a folder to be used and make sure it is writable by joomla then add this line

Code: Select all

php_value session.save_path /path/to/new/folder

digitalmediaguy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by digitalmediaguy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:28 pm

It was cloudflare minimizing javascript for me! DOH

nottsjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nottsjoomla » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Good old cloudflare, they broke my zoo tags :(

washy75
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by washy75 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:54 am

Another weird "hanging on Step 1" type of problem happened to me. I use FreeBSD 9.1, and have Joomla 3.1.4 installed. I checked /var/log/httpd-error.log and found that preg_replace was using an deprecated parameter in two lines.

# /var/log/httpd-error.log
joomla/libraries/joomla/filter/input.php(664) : Deprecated - preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead

# ../joomla/libraries/joomla/filter/input.php
$source = preg_replace('/&#(\d+);/me', "utf8_encode(chr(\\1))", $source); // decimal notation

// Convert hex
$source = preg_replace('/&#x([a-f0-9]+);/mei',"utf8_encode(chr(0x\\1))", $source); // hex notation
return $source;

I then removed to look like this:

$source = preg_replace('/&#(\d+);/m', "utf8_encode(chr(\\1))", $source); // decimal notation

// Convert hex
$source = preg_replace('/&#x([a-f0-9]+);/mi',"utf8_encode(chr(0x\\1))", $source); // hex notation
return $source;

I don't know exactly what's going to happen later on, but I am on step two now! :-) And the rest of installation process went smooth...

gingir
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gingir » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:36 am

For anyone trying to install joomla3 or joomla2 on a hosting where PHP 5.5 is running

If your installation hangs at step 1 do the following

open libraries/joomla/filter/input.php

find the following
$source = preg_replace('/&#(\d+);/me', "utf8_encode(chr(\\1))", $source); // decimal notation
$source = preg_replace('/&#x([a-f0-9]+);/mei', "utf8_encode(chr(0x\\1))", $source); // hex notation
replace with the following

$source = preg_replace_callback('/&#x(\d+);/mi', function($m){return utf8_encode(chr('0x'.$m[1]));}, $source); // decimal notation
$source = preg_replace_callback('/&#x([a-f0-9]+);/mi', function($m){return utf8_encode(chr('0x'.$m[1]));}, $source); // hex notation
source github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/1309

used it on both joomla 2 and joomla 3 installers and can successfully get to step 2.

PHP will warn you about this problem with the following error either on screen or in the error_log

preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_call back instead
To the joomla development team, your work is great however PHP 5.5 has been around for quite some time now, time to get rid of this deprecated modifier ;)

biowep
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by biowep » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:57 pm

gingir wrote:For anyone trying to install joomla3 or joomla2 on a hosting where PHP 5.5 is running

find the following
$source = preg_replace('/&#x([a-f0-9]+);/mei', "utf8_encode(chr(0x\\1))", $source); // hex notation

$source = preg_replace_callback('/&#x(\d+);/mi', function($m){return utf8_encode(chr('0x'.$m[1]));}, $source); // decimal notation
$source = preg_replace_callback('/&#x([a-f0-9]+);/mi', function($m){return utf8_encode(chr('0x'.$m[1]));}, $source); // hex notation

used it on both joomla 2 and joomla 3 installers and can successfully get to step 2.

PHP will warn you about this problem with the following error either on screen or in the error_log

preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_call back instead
To the joomla development team, your work is great however PHP 5.5 has been around for quite some time now, time to get rid of this deprecated modifier ;)
Perfect, thank you,
I hope the dev team will notice this and fix it in the next release.

nottsjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nottsjoomla » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Nothing will get fixed if no one adds a bug report!
Anchor links are not allowed in signature. See Forum Rules for details: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

918Graham
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by 918Graham » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm having the same problem with installation: The install process hangs on the language page. I've tried Chrome, Firefox and IE and still can't get past this page. I see that the last entry for this problem was more than two years ago. It's still not fixed? For me, a novice, this is a real credibility problem. Not building my confidence, you know? :( but not yet >:(

nottsjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nottsjoomla » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Have you tried any of the fixes offered? The problem maybe nothing to do with Joomla.

The last post was 1pm today
Anchor links are not allowed in signature. See Forum Rules for details: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

PonchiksLabais
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by PonchiksLabais » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:52 am

gingir wrote:For anyone trying to install joomla3 or joomla2 on a hosting where PHP 5.5 is running

find the following

Why you have Aprentice level? Thank you. It's Worked for me. Best suggestion ;D

tomski74
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tomski74 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:15 pm

First post, so Hello folks!

I'm stuck in the same spot - I can't get to the next step after selecting the language.
When I debug it I get the same syntax error; mootools-core.js line 172 and line 504
Tried all of the above suggestions and still nothing.
Happens to me both in Joomla 2.5.14 and 3.1.

Running Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise SP2 32 bit
IIS 6
PHP 5.3.27
FastCGI

Someone mentioned checking a write path, can you elaborate?
Thanks,

Tom

tomski74
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tomski74 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:36 pm

nottsjoomla wrote:If the session save path is not writable by your user then you can add a custom save path in .htaccess (if allowed by your webmaster).

Create a folder to be used and make sure it is writable by joomla then add this line

php_value session.save_path /path/to/new/folder
Where is this?
I don't see it in php.ini

nottsjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nottsjoomla » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:44 pm

"you can add a custom save path in .htaccess"

You need to create a file called .htaccess in the root of the domain and add that line to it specifying a folder to use for the php sessions.

tomski74
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tomski74 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:48 pm

That didn't do the trick. Same result - can't get past the language selection page.

Again, I'm not running Apache server, but IIS and FastCGI

I get the following error:
"}if(!JSON.validate(string)){throw new Error("JSON could not decode the input; security is enabled and the value is not secure.");}}return eval("("+string+")");"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nottsjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nottsjoomla » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Which version of php are you running?

tomski74
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tomski74 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:20 pm

nottsjoomla wrote:Which version of php are you running?
LIke I said 3 posts above:

Running Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise SP2 32 bit
IIS 6
PHP 5.3.27
FastCGI

I can't believe there are no instructions on how to get this configured :(

nottsjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nottsjoomla » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:44 pm

Check the minimum requirements. IIS6 is not supported.

http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”