Broken/Missing Images After Installation

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
trekkiemonster
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Broken/Missing Images After Installation

Post by trekkiemonster » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new user of Joomla and am getting to grips with it. I've got a problem though which has stumped me and I've not been able to find an answer I'm sure is relevent for me or not, so I apologise if Im repeating an existing thread.

Basically, regardless of if I install Joomla 1.7 by hand, or by Softaculous, once I finish installation and click to visit the admin page, all the admin section graphics are missing and displaying the broken/missing image graphic. I've check the folders via FTP and as far as I can tell all the images are there and in the right place.

I'm totally stumped as to what I can do to sort this out, and am hoping someone could please point me in the right direction for getting images to display on the admin page and main homepage (as the Joomla logo is broken/missing icon'd too).

Many thanks, and I hope everyone in the Joomla community has a very Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays, or just a great time for any event you may be celebrating during the next week or two. :)

Trekkie Monster aka Jason, UK. :)

PS Sorry, I forgot to say that my host is Lunarpages, in case its important. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Broken/Missing Images After Installation

Post by Tessa Mero » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:33 am

Hi there,

check your configuration.php file and make sure the root of your links aren't being pointed to an old web server or even your localhost.

:-)
Tessa Mero
JED Team Assistant Manager
Production Leadership Team Member

trekkiemonster
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by trekkiemonster » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:47 am

Hi TessaMero,

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I've had a look at the configuration.php file, but am unsure which setting I'm looking for as I couldn't find any path to images setting. I'll copy my config and put it in here.

One thing I've noticed, if I right click the broken image icon and choose Copy Image URL and paste it into the URL address bar, the image appears, so it seems the links are correct. Then, once the image is in my cache, it appears on the page properly (until I reload the page ofcourse hehe). Also, changing theme makes no difference - Bluestork and Hathor do the same.

Could my server be causing the problem somehow? Although my hosts are very good with their technical support, I dont think they'd help unless it was a problem with the server itself. But, it probably isnt because Im running various other programs (Invision Power Board, and Wordpress for example) on the same host account, albeit a different website as the website I'm installing Joomla on is an add-on domain.

As its an add on domain, not only can the website be accessed via it's own domain name or http://www.gdf-swtor.com/gdf, but also via http://www.ostomyland.org/GDF/gdf as it is located in a folder on my main website. Could this be part of the problem? Again though, it is correctly pointing to the image file in the page code, its just not appearing for some reason.

Here's my Config page as promised, with just a few details removed such as secret and password etc.

Thanks for your sugggestion Tessa, and thanks to anyone else who can suggest things to try too. :)

Best wishes,

Jason/Trekkiemonster.

Code: Select all

<?php

class JConfig {

public $offline = '0';

public $offline_message = 'This site is down for maintenance.<br /> Please check back again soon.';

public $display_offline_message = '1';

public $sitename = 'GDF';

public $editor = 'tinymce';

public $list_limit = '20';

public $access = '1';

public $debug = '0';

public $debug_lang = '0';

public $dbtype = 'mysql';

public $host = 'localhost';

public $user = '<deleted>';

public $password = '<deleted>';

public $db = '<deleted>_gdfj17';

public $dbprefix = '<deleted>_';

public $live_site = '';

public $secret = '<deleted>';

public $gzip = '0';

public $error_reporting = 'default';

public $helpurl = 'http://help.joomla.org/proxy/index.php?option=com_help&keyref=Help{major}{minor}:{keyref}';

public $ftp_host = '';

public $ftp_port = '';

public $ftp_user = '';

public $ftp_pass = '';

public $ftp_root = '';

public $ftp_enable = '';

public $offset = 'UTC';

public $offset_user = 'UTC';

public $mailer = 'mail';

public $mailfrom = '<deleted>';

public $fromname = 'GDF';

public $sendmail = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';

public $smtpauth = '0';

public $smtpuser = '';

public $smtppass = '';

public $smtphost = 'localhost';

public $smtpsecure = 'none';

public $smtpport = '25';

public $caching = '0';

public $cache_handler = 'file';

public $cachetime = '15';

public $MetaDesc = 'GDF | Saving the World from the Imperials and Sith since 2001';

public $MetaKeys = '';

public $MetaAuthor = '1';

public $sef = '1';

public $sef_rewrite = '0';

public $sef_suffix = '0';

public $unicodeslugs = '0';

public $feed_limit = '10';

public $log_path = '/home/ostom0/public_html/GDF/gdf/logs';

public $tmp_path = '/home/ostom0/public_html/GDF/gdf/tmp';

public $lifetime = '15';

public $session_handler = 'database';

}
Last edited by mandville on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: broke link for security reasons

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:03 am

As you've confirmed that the images are there - Just to rule out something - can you try using a different pc and different browser.
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

trekkiemonster
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by trekkiemonster » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:15 am

Hi, I've tried different browsers, and a different computer, and a phone even. It happens on all.

BUT! Just after sending my reply, I had a brainstorm. They rarely happen, but thankfully I did have the fire extinguisher handy :D

The problem IS the add on domain itself. Ill need to contact the hosts. Ive discovered that if I install Joomla 1.7 on to my main site, the images display fine. So, then I took it another step, and made a simple HTML with a graphic on it, and put it on to the add on domain site - and it doesnt show up on there either!

Ive no idea what could cause this, or how to fix it, but I think it's safe to say it's the hosts problem now (especially considering I bought the domain name through them too. lol.)

If I get it fixed and they tell me what it was, I'll be sure to come back and let everyone here know.

Thanks again for all your support and ideas and questions to try and sort this out for me. I really appreciate it. :)

Best wishes,

Jason.

trekkiemonster
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by trekkiemonster » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:03 pm

Job done! I had hotlink protection on! Doh! xD

Thanks again everyone, Im looking forward to playing around with Joomla some more.

Take care and have a great Christmas or happy holidays! :)

Jason.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Glad you got it sorted. To be honest on a well configured site hotlink protection should not have effected you as the whole point of that is to prevent other sites linking to your images not your own site
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

ramitdown
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ramitdown » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:56 am

I had the same problem of trekkiemonster.

I was going to ask the same question, browse the post, found this one, and finally I'm glad to make my first post a contribution instead. This is what I do in cPanel:

First, keep using hotlink protection. Is very important as brian said.
1. in cPanel go the Security section, then HotLink Protection
2. Make sure hotlink protection is on
3. In the "URLs to allow access::" add your sub domain: http://mysubdomain.mysite.com
This is the whitelist of allowed domains to hotlink to your files.
4. click on Submit

After that, my installation process shows all images, the Joomla backend (Administration) and frontend (The site itself) show the images too.

KWE_Vicky
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by KWE_Vicky » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:10 pm

I am having the same problem with my Joomla 1.7.3 installation. I have Hotlink Protection setup correctly, allowing access to my site; however, images are still not being displayed. I turned off Hotlink Protection and still no images. I have accessed the site from multiple PCs, as well as using multiple browsers and they are all the same.

This is a new installation on a new site and, originally, not only did the images not appear, but the pages were not displayed properly with text flowing everywhere (as if there was no css). At that point, I thought my download of Joomla was corrupt, so I downloaded it again, uninstalled Joomla from my site, re-uploaded and reinstalled Joomla. With the 2nd installation, the images still don't appear, but the pages seem to be displayed properly.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions? If I can't get this resolved, I'm going back to 1.5 as it installed without problems.

Thank in advance to anyone that can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks,
Vicky

skeddy136
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by skeddy136 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Don't know if this will help but I had same problem (admin graphics and site graphics not displaying).
Followed ramitdown's instructions, looked at my cPanel Hotlink Protection setup and it looked fine. Still no images.
Then I looked at same settings again and this time I clicked on the "Submit" button. And it worked to now display the images.
Some thought about why - I had added a new sub-domain which was listed in the Hot Link settings, however must be the new sub-domain hadn't been "saved" somehow.
Don't care though - it worked!!!
Hope this helps you KWE_Vicky

fgcosoft
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fgcosoft » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:36 am

Pictures folder on your system clean
administrator / system / images
Last edited by ooffick on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Note: Removed manual Signature. Please read the Forum rules for details.

tonyx4x44
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tonyx4x44 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:34 am

thanks for the topic! helpful info

m88bett
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by m88bett » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:03 am

No support :(