Transferred Site, But Get Download Dialog Box

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
MatthewSchenker
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Transferred Site, But Get Download Dialog Box

Post by MatthewSchenker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:49 pm

Hello,
I am having an odd problem transferring a site from one server to another. I've done all the usual steps for transferring the site:
1. Exported the database and imported it into the new server via phpMyAdmin
2. Copied all the site files and moved them via ftp to the new server
3. Edited the configuration.php file to match the database, database user, and other information

When I go to the new URL, instead of seeing the site, I get a dialog saying "You have chosen to open" something and then giving me an option to save a file.

Has anyone else every seen this? What is the cause?

Thanks,
Matthew

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Transferred Site, But Get Download Dialog Box

Post by humvee » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:54 am

Is the page you are getting look like a Joomla page or are you simply getting a dialog box for download?

Is the result the same in all browsers?

Is the domain name correctly configured for the new host?

Have you tried a default Joomla installation on the new host to test the settings? You could then simply replace the files and database once it is installed keeping the same configuration.php file?

Do you have an active .htaccess file that could be redirecting you to the old host for example?
Does the new host have any additional files within the web_root/ directory to which you are reinstalling the Joomla files?

Does your site have any download style components installed that might have its own configuration file?

MatthewSchenker
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MatthewSchenker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi Humvee,
Thanks for trying to help!

The page doesn't look like a Joomla page. It's just a blank page with the dialog box appearing before any content shows up.

Yes, it is the same in all browsers.

The domain name is working properly because there is a site already working at this domain.

There is an active .htaccess file, because I needed it to force the use of PHP 5.3. But this was working fine on the "old" host.

No, there are no style components that would force their own configuration.

One other note: I get the same result whether I move the site files to the new server, or if I use Akeeba backup to restore the site. I get the same dialog box even if I do a "new" installation of Joomla.

One possible reason for this might be that I am trying to do the installation in a sub-directory.

Still searching for the answer.

Thanks,
Matthew

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:48 pm

The domain name is working properly because there is a site already working at this domain.
Please clarify.
Are you using the same domain name for two different locations/installations?
Is there an existing site within the current web_root/ directory where you are installing the transferred site? Are you correctly adding the subdirectory name to the URL being called in the browser?
There is an active .htaccess file, because I needed it to force the use of PHP 5.3. But this was working fine on the "old" host.
Does this host have the same versions of PHP available as well? Do you need to do this?

If you are installing to a subdirectory a) have you edited the paths in the configuration.php and .htaccess file for this specifically.

Does the host allow separate versions of PHP to be defined on a per site basis? If a sub-directory you may be causing issues with this request. Try moving that .htaccess file to the web_root/ itself and/or temporarily disabling it by renaming.

Please run the Forum Post Assistant to provide the information to help us try and resolve the issue.
Please follow the instructions in the post and the program pack closely

MatthewSchenker
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MatthewSchenker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi Humvee,
Thanks again for your help.

I actually did a fresh installation of Joomla 2.5, and got the same problem. So it is not because I'm transferring a site.

I'm trying to do the installation in a sub-directory. I've done this before, so I don't quite know what's wrong in this case.

Here's the URL with the Joomla installation files. You'll see right away what it's doing:
www.mocomfg.com/newsite

Thanks again for your help!

Matthew

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:14 pm

I have no idea what this is for application/x-httpd-php53 (1.3 KB)
If I add the installation/index.php to the URL it just returns a reference to the main site URL and ignores the command altogether.

This makes me wonder whether there is something either in an .htaccess file in the root directory or something configured in the host domain manager that is causing the issue specifically.

In fact I have just searched for application/x-httpd-php53 and it is indeed the above but is related to a commands for changing php versions on the server. So as I suggested in my last post it is your htaccess file request for php 5.3 that is the issue.

Have you spoken to the host about this issue and your needs.

Please run the Forum Post Assistant to provide the information to help us try and resolve the issue.
Please follow the instructions in the post and the program pack closely

MatthewSchenker
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MatthewSchenker » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Hello,
Thanks Humvee!

I'm trying to figure this out, as I've never experienced this problem with Joomla before and I'm seeing it for the first time on this server.

Do you know what kind of configurations in the host domain manager might cause something like this?

If anyone else has experienced this same issue and knows about a solution, please share it!

Thanks again for your help!

Matthew

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Have you spoken to the host as recommended?

burntwear
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by burntwear » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:03 pm

I know its a bit late but this might benefit future users having the same issue. I had this same error when moving from one host to another, extracted the akeeba backup onto the new cpanel, expecting the akeeba wizard but instead got a windows dialouge box to download "you have chosen to open:" "application/x-httpd-php53 " "Save as"

expected reason: you added the below code to your .htaccess file in the past because you needed to Use PHP 5.3 however your host server was using PHP 5.2 or some other by default.

Code: Select all

# Use PHP 5.3
AddType application/x-httpd-php53 .php
Possible Solution: remove that bit of code from your .htaccess file, your new host probably dont require it or is already running PHP 5.3

worked for me.

hecbay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hecbay » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:15 pm

I know this post is old but I share how I resolve this problem.

If you just restore your site to a new server and you got a dialogue box saying "You have chosen to open application/x-httpd-php it may be because the php version of your new server differs from the previous one where you backed up your site with akeeba and the htaccess file is overriding your php settings.

My solution:
First check php versions on each server. If they're different, find out how to update or downgrade on your new server, so they don't differ much on versions. If you want to downgrade version in Mamp, just go to applications/mamp/bin/php/ and change the folder name of the versions you want to exclude. After that restart server.

Once you did that, go for a new installation of your site with kickstart, but wait! Before clicking next button after site unpacking, go to your file folder and delete the .htaccess file or the htaccess.txt file that was backed up with your site. That htaccess file could be overriding your mamp php settings.

Doing that solve my problem and I hope anybody else with the same issue could fix in this way, as I never found an answer about this topic on any forum.

Good luck!
The internet? is that thing still around..?

RebelFlicks
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RebelFlicks » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Change your server PHP version in control panel and save.

Even though joomla install stated a correct default version when installing, I had to change it to the same correct version and save.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”