Joomla with SQL Server at Linux Server!

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Austre
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla with SQL Server at Linux Server!

Post by Austre » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi guys! :-[

I'm trying to configure joomla 2.5 to use SQL Server 2008 at my linux server (Debian). So, i have FreeTDS installed, configured and tested on that linux server, but:
  • I don't know how to make Joomla detect FreeTDS;
  • I don't know if Joomla works with FreeTDS;
  • I don't know other way to make this configuration: Joomla on linux server using SQL Server 2008;

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla with SQL Server at Linux Server!

Post by humvee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:07 pm

The issue is identifying the path/domain of the SQL server and then using that in the database configuration at step 4 of the installation for the host information.
It would essentially replace the default "localhost" response when installation is all within the same environment of the PC in use.
As to how you will do that if you are using it on a virtual machine on the same computer I have no idea.
Probably something you would be better off taking to the Deb forums appropriate.

Austre
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Austre » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 pm

humvee,

Thanks for your help.

Just to figure it out, my cenario is:

Server A
Linux with Apache, PHP, MySQL and FreeTDS (Virtual Machine)

Server B
Windows with SQL Server 2008

When i try FreeTDS by command line it works fine. Then, i expected appear other options at step 2 and 4 of the installation different of mysql and mysqli.

I installed many php extensions like php5-sqlite from apt-get expecting see any SQL Server option at Joomla Installation. But nothing appears.

Could you or other person confirm if Joomla connect with SQL Server by FreeTDS or what?
Have another php extension that i should check if was installed?

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:09 am

Given only the recent introduction of MSSQL support and the unusual nature of your request I can almost certainly suggest it is not an environment that would have been tested as a part of the development of Joomla.

what about odbc.so php extension? A quick search on a number of sites suggested that with Apache and PHP in a Unix scenario with FreeTDS.

Austre
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Austre » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:42 am

The odbc.so was installed in my linux server, i tested it a bit yesterday night and today i'll continue.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 pm

I have e-mailed one of the lead Joomla developers to see if there is any other knowledge pool that can be invoked here.

If I hear anything I will post back, but it may be that you have to take the issue up elsewhere on server administration/FreeTDS fora instead rather than hope too much for progress here.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:38 pm

I have now been put in contact with one of the developers responsible for much of the work involving MSSQL in the core and I am hoping there will be some feedback from them in due course.

filipecm
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by filipecm » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:26 pm

Reviving this post... :D

Is it possible to do this now? Joomla on Linux communicate to SQL Server from a Windows server?

kdr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kdr » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:22 pm

Has anyone been able to use Linux Apache with Windows SQL Server back end?

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:51 pm

Running PHP on Linux connecting to a SQL Server backend requires a somewhat custom PHP installation. http://php.net/manual/en/ref.pdo-sqlsrv.php explains the installation requirements for the PDO version of PHP's SQL Server driver (note Joomla is not using the PDO version) and the non-PDO version (http://php.net/manual/en/sqlsrv.installation.php) doesn't give any indication whether it would support a Linux platform (all the references are to Windows DLL files and links to Microsoft's website).

Unfortunately at a PHP level this setup is pretty tricky to pull off and Joomla doesn't appear to be able to support it at this time since it is not using the PDO based driver.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”