joomla update component question.

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Locked
ojslayout
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:31 am

joomla update component question.

Post by ojslayout » Fri May 08, 2015 8:29 am

Let say I have joomla 2.5 and I use the built in joomla update to make it 3.4.1. Do I Still need to update 3rd party extensions of joomla 2.5? If I need to update this 3rd part extension how can I do it? Do I just need to look for joomla 3.4 compatible extension and install it?

User avatar
ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:47 pm
Contact:

Re: joomla update component question.

Post by ribo » Fri May 08, 2015 10:56 am

1. Very important is to have a back up of your joomla 2.5 so if something goes wrong with update to restore it and try again
2. You update your joomla 2.5 to 2.5.28
3. If a third party extension or template has version that is compatible with j 2.5 and j 3.x you update the extension or template
4. If a third party extension or template have seperate versions for j 2.5 and j 3.x you uninstall the extension or template in j 2.5 and you install them in j 3.x(Many extensions have documentation about update them without lose their data)
5. Disable Remember me system plugin
6. You update your joomla ( i recommend from extension manager and install the update patch or from Upload & Install Joomla Extension or from Install from Directory without unzip the patch, it depends from your server resources)
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com

ojslayout
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:31 am

Re: joomla update component question.

Post by ojslayout » Sat May 09, 2015 4:35 am

ribo wrote:1. Very important is to have a back up of your joomla 2.5 so if something goes wrong with update to restore it and try again
2. You update your joomla 2.5 to 2.5.28
3. If a third party extension or template has version that is compatible with j 2.5 and j 3.x you update the extension or template
4. If a third party extension or template have seperate versions for j 2.5 and j 3.x you uninstall the extension or template in j 2.5 and you install them in j 3.x(Many extensions have documentation about update them without lose their data)
5. Disable Remember me system plugin
6. You update your joomla ( i recommend from extension manager and install the update patch or from Upload & Install Joomla Extension or from Install from Directory without unzip the patch, it depends from your server resources)
Thanks for the answer. I have some questions. If I use migration tool like sp upgrade or juupgrade, will they also migrate the 3rd party data? Do migration tool like sp upgarde automatically look for compatible version(or update the the extension) of 3rd party extension and install it on joomla?

What's better to use for upgrading joomla 2.5.28 to 3x. The builtin upgrade of joomla or migration tools like jupgrade or spupgrade? Thanks. Much appreciation.

User avatar
ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:47 pm
Contact:

Re: joomla update component question.

Post by ribo » Sat May 09, 2015 8:43 am

sp upgrade is for migrate 1.5 to 2.5 or to 3. it s alternate is sp tranfer.
About third party you must see their documentation if they can but also you must read their reviews.
Personally i did nt need third party extensions for update j 2.5 to j 3.x because with joomla you can update your joomla and the third party extensions that listed as well. The choice is yours
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com

ojslayout
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:31 am

Re: joomla update component question.

Post by ojslayout » Sat May 09, 2015 2:46 pm

ribo wrote:sp upgrade is for migrate 1.5 to 2.5 or to 3. it s alternate is sp tranfer.
About third party you must see their documentation if they can but also you must read their reviews.
Personally i did nt need third party extensions for update j 2.5 to j 3.x because with joomla you can update your joomla and the third party extensions that listed as well. The choice is yours
Thanks. With migration tools, will they also migrate the database data of 3rd party extension?

User avatar
ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:47 pm
Contact:

Re: joomla update component question.

Post by ribo » Sat May 09, 2015 2:52 pm

Some migrate extensions no, some migrate extensions have a list of third party, you must check them and decide if this is what do you want to do. i told you that is your choise about that
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com

ojslayout
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:31 am

Re: joomla update component question.

Post by ojslayout » Sun May 10, 2015 1:35 am

Thanks again. Last few questions. Before I use the builtin joomla 2.5 one click update, do I need to uninstall first the not compatible extension? If I have a compatible extension, do I need to update it first before using the joomla 2.5 built in one click update? Or I will do these process after I used the one click update? Thanks again.

User avatar
ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:47 pm
Contact:

Re: joomla update component question.

Post by ribo » Sun May 10, 2015 9:17 am

ojslayout wrote:Thanks again. Last few questions. Before I use the builtin joomla 2.5 one click update, do I need to uninstall first the not compatible extension? If I have a compatible extension, do I need to update it first before using the joomla 2.5 built in one click update? Or I will do these process after I used the one click update? Thanks again.
First before every update is important to back up your joomla files and your database.
Before you update from 2.5.27 to 2.5.8 you don t need check for compatible extensions or uncompatible extensions.
Before you update from 2.5.28 to 3.4.1 you uninstall the uncompatible versions of extensions if the extensions versions has seperate versions for 2.5 and 3.x. or they are not generally compatible with j 3.x .
Before you update from 2.5.28 to 3.4.1 you update the extensions that their version can work and with 2.5 and with 3.x
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com


Locked

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”