The best way to transfer Joomla from hosting to a localhost

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
abrodski
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

The best way to transfer Joomla from hosting to a localhost

Post by abrodski » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Hello!

Previously I used hosting for my Joomla/VM sites. At that time I made in CPanel a few backups. I was thinking that I would simply restore them in due time on another CPanel account. Now I want to try to run a web server from home/office. The problem is... I don't have CPanel for restoration purposes! I know there's Akeeba Backup tool and kickstart.php file that one could use to move Joomla/VM installation from one server to another. BUT... unfortunately, I don't have .jar file from my older hosting account. I can only think of one relatively simple solution. To temporarily re-open my hosting account and to re-install Joomla/VM on it (ie., to reverse the situation back in time). And once it's set up and ready, I will use Akeeba Backup to get .jar file that I will be able to use on my localhost to install my old Joomla/VM installation. What do you think? Is there another easy way to solve my problem?

jcms
I've been banned!

Re: The best way to transfer Joomla from hosting to a localh

Post by jcms » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:43 pm

I think akeeba backup is best method.

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by itoctopus » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:47 pm

Here's how we do it:

- Zip the files/folders under the public_html in cPanel's file manager.
- Export the database using phpMyAdmin
- Re-import the database on your localhost (also using phpMyAdmin)
- Download the zipped file and extract it to your local directory
- Change your configuration settings to point to the local database and the local filesystem
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

abrodski
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by abrodski » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:29 pm

Thank you both for your replies!

1) Well, the common denominator here is that I need to re-register with my hosting provider in order to access CPanel and re-install my site on hosting as a first step. Right???

2) At first glance simply copy-pasting public_html and the db's is easier than using a 3rd party app. BUT... Does kickstart.php make it any easier to configure new localhost settings for Joomla. I used it before -- I just don't remember, it's been awhile since then. What I'm asking here is whether when you use kickstart, does it propose you with the right changes in terms of new Joomla settings?

Potus001
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Potus001 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:28 pm

I always use Akeeba.

Does everything in one go.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”