I think I've got .htaccess issue

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
abrodski
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

I think I've got .htaccess issue

Post by abrodski » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:08 pm

Hello!

I run Ubuntu 14.04 and a LAMP stack. I'm having strange issues with my Joomla site and I suspect that maybe it's because of my errors in running a web server. I'm getting a wrong addresses when I create new menu items (A strange directory "Feeds" appears and I see just the main Joomla page)

If I recall correctly, when I created my original Joomla site in J 1.5 I did use .htaccess in my Joomla root and I chose an appropriate option in Joomla admin panel. Another important point is that I built an original site in a hosting environment (ie, on a distant server, probably running PHP 5.3 I would assume). I'm not an expert in Apache, but I think that I must use a certain directive to enable use of .htaccess (I think it's disabled by default). I haven't enabled it. The reason why I even decided to upgrade my Joomla installation from J 1.5 to 2.5 is because I had issues when I tried to add a payment module in Virtuemart and I thought that maybe the reason was because of incompatibility of J 1.5 and PHP 5.5 (it's a default PHP version under Ubuntu 14.04). And though I did successfully an upgrade of Joomla version from 1.5 to 2.5, after that I couldn't open any of my menu items (except for the home page). I was getting 404 errors everywhere! And then I turned off my "Use URL rewriting" option and renamed back .htaccess to htaccess.txt And after that everything got back to normal (everything that was already there, not NEW menu items -- I simply didn't create any new menu items at THAT point in time).
Of course, I can wait till J 3.5 appears (I prefer to use LTS versions of everything) and then to re-build a site from scratch (or maybe to upgrade Joomla AGAIN from 2.5 to 3.5), but I don't want to just jump into those kind of extreme solutions, especially when they're so TIME CONSUMING (to build a site from scratch).
What I'm trying to ask here... Maybe I should just enable .htaccess use in Apache to avoid those kind of issues?

abrodski
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: I think I've got .htaccess issue

Post by abrodski » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:10 pm

The problem is solved. It was a Joomla/Virtuemart issue, not really a web server problem. Had to go to Menu manager in Joomla and press Rebuild button there to get menu items in order.
Anyone can explain at least what's going on?

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: I think I've got .htaccess issue

Post by AlexVega » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:07 am

Hi there!

According to the official docs, " This function is provided in case the data
in the table becomes corrupted. "
. Thanks for sharing your solution.

Cheers!

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”