error at language choice joomla 2.5.28

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jmogey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

error at language choice joomla 2.5.28

Post by jmogey » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:41 pm

I have a web site, fairly simple, that has been running on Joomla 2.5.28 for our buddhist retreat center that I want to upgrade to Joomla 3.
My problem arises when I try to install Joomla 2.5.28 to my local LAMP server. When I try to install Joomla 2.5.28 it hangs at the language screen. I have been able to install 3.6.5 on this same server with no problem. The server uses MySQL 5.7 and php 7.
My idea was to set up the site locally and restore an akeeba backup and then do a local upgrade. At that point I will need a new template (the current site template is not compatible with 3, WS-Minded template) that I want to fiddle with before doing the upgrade to the live site.
I've been unable to get any insight on this language hang-up so any help will be appreciated. Also I'd appreciate comments on my plan (which I know is better put out on the upgrade forum).
Thanks in advance

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: error at language choice joomla 2.5.28

Post by toivo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:08 pm

The problem may be caused by the fact that Joomla 2.5.28 does not work with PHP 7.

If you have Windows workstations, you could install XAMPP or Wampserver with PHP 5.6, for example.

More information: https://downloads.joomla.org/technical-requirements
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

jmogey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: error at language choice joomla 2.5.28

Post by jmogey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Tolvo, that was the problem. I deleted the whole LAMP stack and installed XAMPP and was able to install 2.5.28 and restore my site locally.
Thanks.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”