Connecting Joomla 2.5 to a Windows SQL server

This forum is for issues with installing Joomla! 2.5 (All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5.) on IIS webservers.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
marvinandsmudge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Connecting Joomla 2.5 to a Windows SQL server

Post by marvinandsmudge » Mon May 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Today I tried to connect a 2.5 installation on a commercial Windows 2008 server to a 2008 Window SQL server.

The server was running PHP (version 5.3) and Microsoft SQL Server drivers version 2 for PHP.

Could not connect, no error messages just an endless cycle of trying to connect.

I logged into the database and was able to find that the basic table structure was installed.

Finally I contacted my brilliant server support team at Web Wiz. They updated PHP and the PHP SQL driver-PHP was updated to version 5.3.13 and the new Microsoft SQL Server drivers version 3 for PHP installed.

I was able to connect to the database but there were errors that prevented the installation continuing. The errors are concerned with the security prefix that must be added to the tables.

I am fairly certain that I could now go into the SQL database and manually fix the tables but it seems to me that Joomla 2.5 is not quite ready for Microsoft SQL databases and I will stay with MYSQL until the 'big boys and girls' fix it!

This post is intended to be feedback to anyone who wants to play with SQL databases. Probbaly too early? Wait until version 3?

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Connecting Joomla 2.5 to a Windows SQL server

Post by humvee » Tue May 22, 2012 8:32 am

Others have had MSSQL work with Joomla! 2.5.4 without this issue - as far as I am aware.

By security prefix I am assuming you mean the table prefix you set during the installation process at Step 4.
If so:
Try deleting the current installation and dropping the database tables
Reinstall Joomla
At step 4 when specifying the table prefix
  • Start with an alphabetical character
  • Use alphanumerics thereafter
  • Do not have any spaces
  • Do not have any special characters other than underscore or hyphen
  • End the sequence with an underscore
  • in addition you should double check any specific requirements of MSSQL table prefixes.
Other than that I am unclear as to what you might be referring to.

marvinandsmudge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by marvinandsmudge » Tue May 22, 2012 9:03 am

Thank you for your answer. I have done as you suggested.

The problem (so far) is concerned with the table prefix. Please see the error message below. "a123_" is the prefix I assigned.

Some errors occurred while populating the database: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Cannot find the object "a123_finder_links" because it does not exist or you do not have permissions.SQL=IF Not EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.default_constraints WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[DF__a123_finde__sale___14270015]') AND parent_object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[a123_finder_links]')) Begin IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.sysobjects WHERE id = OBJECT_ID(N'[DF__a123_finde__sale___14270015]') AND type = 'D') BEGIN ALTER TABLE [a123_finder_links] ADD DEFAULT ((0)) FOR [sale_price] END End

Any ideas how to resolve this issue other than going into the database itself?

REgards

Marvin

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue May 22, 2012 9:12 am

Is this a default installation of Joomla! from joomla.org? Or one with a pre-formatted e-commerce based installation format from a third party?

EDIT:
With or without sample content?

plastersan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by plastersan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:49 pm

We did is successfully using this website: http://www.microsoft.com/web/joomla
Plus the php updates I think your team did to help you.
I'm working on a guide with step by step setup instructions, no ETA on completion, like many of you, its hard to find time with everything else my job expects of me, but we need to the guide to turn the project over to production so it will happen eventually :)

Return to “Joomla! 2.5 on IIS webserver”