Database import content shows in db but not in administrator Topic is solved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
rob-h
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Database import content shows in db but not in administrator

Post by rob-h » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:04 pm

Hi - I have the same problem as the poster below (it wasn't answered). Can anyone advise? BTW, I don't have the db-prefix (random 5 characters) for the database I uploaded. If I need it, is there a way of finding it?
Rob

---------- Earlier post -------------
Database import content shows in db but not in administrator
Post by afiado » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Recently made a clean install of 1.7, and created a new database. Imported test site database to live database. No articles / menus / categories showing in the administrator now. All content appear to be there and correct in the database though. Any ideas on how to get 1.7 administrator to recognise the content is there and to access it?

Many thanks!

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Database import content shows in db but not in administrator

Post by toivo » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:27 pm

Welcome to the Joomla forum!

More information is needed. How did you 'upload' the database? Which database server do you use?

The database prefix in the name of the database is usually assigned by your host. Use the database utility available in the cPanel provided by your host, usually phpMyAdmin, and check the names of databases or schemas in your account.

The database table prefix is different because it is assigned automatically during the installation of Joomla. Use the database utility and check the names of the tables that were imported. If you do not see the tables you imported, click the button to browse to the next page.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:16 pm

You have the same issue with someone who posted a problem about Joomla 1.7 in 2011......??

Back in 1.5/1.7 days the database prefix "jos_" was probably used for the db tables. In modern times (Joomla 3), it is a random string of characters (keep the default automatically generated prefix, or specify your own when you install Joomla).

Are you using Joomla 3 - since this question has been posted to the obsolete Joomla 2.5 forum

In the configuration.php file, you can find the db prefix there.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

rob-h
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rob-h » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:59 pm

Thanks v much Toivo!

The database was exported from a Joomla 2.5.14 installation that had become partly non-functional so that the login no longer works.

The export was done as SQL using PHPMyAdmin.

I created a new database, and imported the SQL file. The import was successful, and I can view my data using PHPMyAdmin.

I installed a fresh copy of Joomla 2.5.14, specifying the new database (with name, user, pass, and not loading any of the sample data offered during installation).

However, there is no content visible in Joomla when I'm logged into the back end.

The aim of the whole effort is to get the original content into a working 2.5.14, then to update stepwise to current Joomla 3.9.x.

Rob

-------------------------------
toivo wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:27 pm
Welcome to the Joomla forum!

More information is needed. How did you 'upload' the database? Which database server do you use?

The database prefix in the name of the database is usually assigned by your host. Use the database utility available in the cPanel provided by your host, usually phpMyAdmin, and check the names of databases or schemas in your account.

The database table prefix is different because it is assigned automatically during the installation of Joomla. Use the database utility and check the names of the tables that were imported. If you do not see the tables you imported, click the button to browse to the next page.

rob-h
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rob-h » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:24 pm

Thanks A Murray.

I'd searched for a post that asked the same question - just happened to be 2011, but looking outside the forum, I came across others, so I knew others had encountered the issue.

I explained the background to this in a reply to Toivo, who'd also replied.

Thanks for the info on the db prefix in the configuration.php files. I'd noted the new one during installation, and looked up the old installation. The db prefix allocated by the new Joomla installation (e.g. new_) is different to the prefix for the original installation (e.g. old_). Can I put the prefix old_ into the new Joomla's Global Configuration?

Robert

-------------------
AMurray wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:16 pm
You have the same issue with someone who posted a problem about Joomla 1.7 in 2011......??

Back in 1.5/1.7 days the database prefix "jos_" was probably used for the db tables. In modern times (Joomla 3), it is a random string of characters (keep the default automatically generated prefix, or specify your own when you install Joomla).

Are you using Joomla 3 - since this question has been posted to the obsolete Joomla 2.5 forum

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:14 pm

Yes, you can change the db prefix and your old content will show up.

rob-h
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rob-h » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:55 pm

Thanks very much for confirming. I've just done that and content is all showing.

Between the replies from you and the two others, I was able to get the old installation running!

But most important of all was that the replies meant I wasn't on my own with the problem. I'd spent ages (days in total) trying various things, looking for answers, and finding several wrong answers.

Thanks again!

Regards

Rob

-------
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:14 pm
Yes, you can change the db prefix and your old content will show up.

rob-h
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rob-h » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:00 pm

Just a final thanks. I've just changed the prefix, and content is all showing.

So, between the replies from you and the two others, I was able to get the old installation running!

But most important of all was that the replies meant I wasn't on my own with the problem. I'd spent ages (days in total) trying various things, looking for answers, and trying to follow several wrong answers.

Thanks again!

Regards

Rob

-------
AMurray wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:16 pm

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”