Advertisement

Favicon

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ViktorM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Favicon

Post by ViktorM » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:18 pm

Hi,
I created and downloaded my own Favicon.
Now I can't manage how to make it appear. Where I can find a step-by-step instruction ho to do that, ether in cPanel or Joomla 2.5 admin panel.
All I read on this topic didn't help.
Thank you!

Advertisement
AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Favicon

Post by AMurray » Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:34 pm

This didn't help? https://docs.joomla.org/Changing_the_site_favicon ???

You can place the .ico file anywhere (maybe somewhere easy to remember such as /images folder - upload via FTP or your web host file manager), but you must point to it in your template's index.php with a <link> tag (as documented above).

However, Joomla 2.5 is out of date, and EOL. It would be best if you considered updating to a supported version (noting that the favicon method in J4 or J5 has changed - not by much but modern browsers allow 'extra' icons e.g. one for the normal favicon you see in the browser URL bar, and different one for a "pinned" favicon where you "pin" the browser tab. (see viewtopic.php?t=1008607).
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

ViktorM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ViktorM » Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:50 pm

Thank you, I will try the link you gave.
Concerning updating to higher version, I was thinking on it, but this gonna be too difficult for my skills :)

ViktorM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ViktorM » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:12 am

After following the instructions, the old favicon disappeared but the new one didn't show up (on Mozilla). In Chrome the old one still remains.
http://birdingislife.com/

mtgg
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mtgg » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:33 am

You need to [completely] empty the contents of your browser cache for both Firefox and for Chrome. This “problem” with Joomla favicons has been discussed elsewhere on this forum many times over the years. Alternatively, use a different device that you have not used before to view your website and you will find that the new favicon(s) work.

ViktorM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ViktorM » Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:58 pm

Yes!
On the device I never open my website it show!
Cleaning cache doesn't help, may be I need to do it more completely :)
Thank you!

Advertisement

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”