Guest only access level paradox

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
DeeEmm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Guest only access level paradox

Post by DeeEmm » Tue May 10, 2011 7:04 am

First off, the new ACL is fantastic, a massive improvement over 1.5, I can now do stuff natively that I needed additional modules for in 1.5. The main improvement has been the ability to create a guest group (as outlined in here - http://docs.joomla.org/ACL_Tutorial_for ... nd_Modules). I have implemented this on my site as I want to restrict access to premium content for non-members.

As per the article I have set up two access levels - guest and registered. The issue I have run into is when I try to set up a different home page for each access level. What I am trying to do is show a page to guests that outline how to join and the benefits of membership. This page is not shown to logged in members, but is replaced by a different page.

At present I have two menus, one for each of the two access levels. If I set the default page to an item on the 'registered' menu, then I get the following error message when I view the page as a guest as the 'registered menu is hidden.

"You are not authorised to view this resource."

The same applies to registered users if I set the default page as an item on the guest menu.

I know that I can modify the template to do this, but I would like to try and do this natively. For me it is one of the reasons for creating a guest only access level.

Anyone know of a workaround, or a different way of setting it up?

TIA

/DM

alladreamofadog
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Guest only access level paradox

Post by alladreamofadog » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:26 am

When you say that you "can modify the template to do this" do you mean that you can have two Home or default pages? If so, I would be interested in that procedure. Right now I am working with the Beez2 template. Which one are you using?

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”