Article Manager Categories (Sub)

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.
southern_man
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Article Manager Categories (Sub)

Post by southern_man » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:07 pm

I've searched for this, no luck at all.

Here's what I need. In 1.5, in Article manager, i had the ability to sort articles by section and see every article in that section, no matter what category the article is in.

In 1.6/1.7 i can only sort by category and it doesn't show me any articles in the sub-categories if that category. is there any way in Admin Article Manager for me to see all of the articles in every Sub-category within a Category?

Thanks in advance

zanderp
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Article Manager Categories (Sub)

Post by zanderp » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:09 pm

This is indeed not possible in 1.6/1.7 core (don't know if there is a plugin to solve this).

But I agree it would be a nice feature for the next release to have an option to show also the articles of sub-categories.
Sander Potjer - Joomla Community Leadership Team

http://www.aclmanager.net - Joomla! ACL simplified
http://www.perfectwebteam.nl - Perfect Web Team

parkingkarma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by parkingkarma » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:06 pm

But I agree it would be a nice feature for the next release to have an option to show also the articles of sub-categories.
Sorry, but this is not a "nice-to-have" feature.

This is an essential requirement.

And after fighting with Joomla! 1.6/1.7 for a few months now trying to find an elegant way to manage and organize a massive amount of content on our intranet, and searching exhaustively for an extension that will restore this functionality without success, I have now come to the conclusion that this fundamental change in the core content management framework is a massive failure.

The whole point of a CMS is to allow efficient (and scaleable!) collaboration for content authoring.

My team only has 4 collaborators, and even just between us, we have already found it impossible to work with the articles we author because it is "impossible" to filter them.

This is a core requirement of working with any Content Management System. We need to be able to create parent groups, and children categories, and be able to filter a list of all articles starting at any point in the tree.

I'm truly amazed that more people are not complaining about this. For a while, I thought I was just missing something, but we have explored every avenue, asked every question, and even asked extension developers to modify their CCKs to provide this obvious, and essential, functionality that is absent in the native Joomla! environment.

What is the point of allowing us to create sub-categories, if we can't filter the articles in them? This is totally pointless.

I would be very happy (ecstatic, even) to be proven wrong on this, and be shown the way to filter articles in Joomla! 1.6/1.7 just as we used to be able to in Joomla! 1.5 by having the same Section selected in a drop down, and then having a second dropdown to focus on the category of interest.

That's all that would be required in this case. Add two dropdowns in the Article Manger, a Select Category (which exists now), and below that, a dropdown for "Select Sub Category" as well as a checkbox "Include Subcategories".

You wouldn't even have to change anything with your core framework. This is just a way to filter the article list. And it's so obvious, and essential, I'm baffled this functionality doesn't exist.

Don't get me wrong, we gravitate towards Joomla! because it has consistently provided the most feature-rich, and best user-supported CMS around. However, this massive oversight in functionality is causing us to rethink our plans about upgrading our intranet to the latest version of Joomla! 1.7.

I would truly appreciate feedback from Joomla! developers to help clarify why you made this change, and why we have lost such a critical workflow for organizing deep and complex data structures.

And even better, if you could point us to a way to get the same filtering functionality in Joomla! 1.7 we would be extremely grateful.

PK

Fireflight
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Fireflight » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:36 pm

I'm running into this same issue. I have articles organized into subcategories, but selecting the parent category displays only articles associated with the parent, not those articles and the ones in child categories.

It seems pointless to offer nesting of categories, when you can't select a parent category and see all the content in the levels beneath. Instead I have to select each category to edit it's articles instead of simply selecting the parent category to display everything.

Mahlady
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Mahlady » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:22 pm

and i thought I was just dumb and was the only one having this issue.

/irnoob

Fireflight
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Fireflight » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:16 pm

Has anyone tried hacking the source files to display articles in child categories? A very quick look at administrator/components/com_content/views/articles/tmpl/default.php looks like it could be done. You'd have to change what's contained in the $items array (which I admittedly have no idea how to do)

deduka
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by deduka » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Fireflight wrote:I'm running into this same issue. I have articles organized into subcategories, but selecting the parent category displays only articles associated with the parent, not those articles and the ones in child categories.

It seems pointless to offer nesting of categories, when you can't select a parent category and see all the content in the levels beneath. Instead I have to select each category to edit it's articles instead of simply selecting the parent category to display everything.
I agree with you guys. :(
It's totally confused about categories and all that thing about nesting is pointless!
I was surprised when I saw that the selection of parent category does not show items from sub-categories!!! :eek:
Categories works more like directories, not categories.
It was better with sections in 1.5.
I there any plugin to avoid this disadvantage in 1.7?
Bosnian Joomla Translation Team
http://www.joomla.ba

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:56 am

The code is in administrator\components\com_content\models\articles.php line 190.
Filter on the path column and it will show articles in all sub categories.

Code: Select all

// Filter by a single or group of categories.
      $categoryId = $this->getState('filter.category_id');
      if (is_numeric($categoryId)) {
         $query->where('c.path like (select concat(path,"%") from #__categories where id='.(int) $categoryId.')');
      }

deduka
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by deduka » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks dude!

I replaced line 190 in articles.php with your line:
$query->where('c.path like (select concat(path,"%") from #__categories where id='.(int)

... and everything works great!
Now category show articles in all sub-categories!

Really useful and appreciated!
5 stars!
:p
Bosnian Joomla Translation Team
http://www.joomla.ba

joomGO
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joomGO » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:The code is in administrator\components\com_content\models\articles.php line 190.

$query->where('c.path like (select concat(path,"%") from #__categories where id='.(int) $categoryId.')');
      }

Thank you for providing this information! It's something that should be built into Joomal 1.7

nniiccoollee
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by nniiccoollee » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi, all ~

I came across this thread searching the same issue: Joomla 1.7 doesn't allow me to create a category list showing articles in all sub-categories. I'm thrilled to report there IS a way to create this list without a plug-in and WITHOUT HACKING THE CORE!

Menu item link type: Category List
Under List Layouts panel, set Category Order to: No Order

What I discovered is that all categories were being shown, but not in the order I expected. It was listing all the articles in the parent category, then all the articles in the first subcategory, etc. After I set the Category Order parameter to No Order and set the Article Order to most recent first, I got the result I was looking for.

Hope this helps someone!
Nicole

joomGO
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joomGO » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Nicole,

Are you talking about on the frontend of the site or in the admin area of Article Manager?

The fix posted in this thread is for the Article Manager in the Admin section

nniiccoollee
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by nniiccoollee » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:34 pm

Ohhhh really sorry about that! I did mean the front-end.

Nocturnaloner
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nocturnaloner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 pm

parkingkarma wrote:
Sorry, but this is not a "nice-to-have" feature.

This is an essential requirement.

What is the point of allowing us to create sub-categories, if we can't filter the articles in them? This is totally pointless.
Right there with you. On one hand, calling a root category a "Section" and a sub-category a "Category" was always ridiculous, but the labels didn't matter, what mattered was that it worked. Once again the destruction of useful functionality as part of an upgrade is pretty mystifying. The sheer volume of threads on categories, both in the front end and the admin, proves my point on this one.

gcollier02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gcollier02 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:The code is in administrator\components\com_content\models\articles.php line 190.

}
Just wanted to say thanks for the fix! I was SOOO frustrated this morning trying to review some content and was not able to filter my content by parent category to see child articles! I plugged this in and it worked perfectly! Thanks again!!!

Susanp
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Susanp » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:43 am

Well, I have the same problem in Joomla 2.5 article manager. I just applied your hack, and the Article Manager is now displaying all the sub-categories of every category I select in the filtering options. Great. Thanks a lot.

I can't believe that even in Joomla2.5, this issue is not yet resolved! Well, it is evident that an administrator needs to be able to see the list of all the articles in the subcategories of a selected category in filtering! How can it be otherwise! :-\

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”