How to turn on/off Page Headings & Article Titles (+request)

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
saraheagle
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

How to turn on/off Page Headings & Article Titles (+request)

Post by saraheagle » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:53 am

This can be very confusing in Joomla and I think I finally have a handle on it.

Menu Item > Page Display Options > Page heading shows a title for the whole page based upon the menu item.
The Article title shows the title of the article.
If you have one article on the page you may not want 2 titles at the top.
Turn the page title off by going to the Menu Item > Page Display Options > Page heading.
The article title off in the Menu Item > Article Options > Show Title
AND/OR in the article item itself under Article Options.

Handily you can set the 'Show Title' to Hide or Show globally in the Article Manager > Options (top right)

IMHO I think 'Show Title' should say 'Show Article Title' just to help with this confusion.
I also think you should be able to set the 'Page Headings' to Hide or Show globally in the Global Config or in the Menu Items Options.
If someone knows how to do this please reply :)

It's a problem that this code in the \components\com_content\views\article\tmpl\default.php sets the show_page_heading to show IF there is nothing set, as the 1 makes it show. I cannot find any way programmatically to override this. I do not want to have my own html in my template just for this; it should be from a global setting somewhere in the Joomla admin area.
<?php if ($this->params->get('show_page_heading', 1)) : ?>
<h1>
<?php echo $this->escape($this->params->get('page_heading')); ?>
</h1>
<?php endif; ?>

garthjones69
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: How to turn on/off Page Headings & Article Titles (+requ

Post by garthjones69 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:59 am

The "show title" option you are referring to comes under "article options" so i think it's clear enough that it's referring to the article title.

The "page heading" field under "page display options" is always blank for me unless i want to use it. I'm not sure what the problem is with having this option?

saraheagle
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by saraheagle » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:26 pm

Re "show title" yes it is, but it it's just to help as it's a bit confusing for novices.

Re The "page heading" field under "page display options" is always blank for me unless i want to use it. Yes it is, IF you are creating a menu item, but if you are going to the page any other way you cannot hide it. A global setting would avoid this. See this post http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 8#p2751728

guwic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guwic » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi,
BUT I have a connected problem. After upgrading 1.5->2.5 I got a lot of extra things displayed in my articles. And now: I specify "Show title" in the general spec for article options, in a specific article I try to supress this in the Article options för THIS article but it is still displayed. A number of things like this also happen wich contact categories display....
I cannot see this problem on the forum so hopefully I'm just doing something wrong -- but what?
/

guwic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guwic » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Well, I just discovered that the problem is that the article options set in article editor are not syncronized with the ones specified when editing the menu item!
Can this be said to follow 'the law of the least surprise' ??? :'(

mjd1953
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjd1953 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:34 pm

So... my problem seems a little different from what I'm seeing addressed here, and yet it seems too similar to start a different thread...

I'm linking to a single article from my home page (actually, from a custom HTML module, located one module position on the home page). The article is "uncategorized" (though I've tried to resolve the problem by putting it in a specific category, to no avail) and it is referenced nowhere else on the site. When the article displays, it displays the word "Articles" above the title. I don't want the word "Articles" there (it's not a part of the article title), and can't figure out how to turn it off.

Again, linking to a single article -- the only link to it on the whole site -- article title shows up fine -- but at the very top of the module, "Articles" is displaying.

Help...

brn2drv99
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by brn2drv99 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:02 am

I tend to agree with saraheagle's initial comment on renaming "Shot Title', but for a slightly different reason: <title>. When I first saw the "Show Title" option, I thought it ment "Show the heading of this article in the <title> section" (took only a little trial and error to figure out my mistake, but none the less). Perhaps it should be named "Show Article Heading" (or just "Show Heading"), as it is technically in a <h1> tag now.

mjd1953, I had this same problem moments ago. In your article, click on Article Options. Here, change "Show Title" to "Hide". This can also be done through the Article's Global Configuration, but then it will apply to all articles.

If you're linking to an article from one of the menus, this option is in the menu item's parameters, also cleverly titled "Show Title". What is a bit strange is that if your article is set to Hide, but your menu is set to Show, the heading will show - basically, the Show Title option is only useful if you directly link to an article via a not-Joomla!-made menu (as you're doing), otherwise it's set in the menu item itself.
Douglas A. Crosby
Owner of daCrosby, LLC
http://www.daCrosby.com

brn2drv99
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by brn2drv99 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:11 am

I misread mjd1953's question, my apologies. this article talks about a few ways to get rid of the "Articles" text. Basically, modify some of the php files or make a menu item for the customHTML and link to that instead.
Douglas A. Crosby
Owner of daCrosby, LLC
http://www.daCrosby.com

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”