[Solved]Can't save Global Configuration in FTP enabled mode

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
bsyap86
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

[Solved]Can't save Global Configuration in FTP enabled mode

Post by bsyap86 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:25 am

Hi Everyone,

I want to install Akeeba component on my site. According to the installation tips, i must first turn on the FTP in Global Configuration. After fill-in the necessary details in FTP settings, i could not save the changes and i get a error message saying JFTP:write:Bad responsde Could not save data. Error:Could not write to the configuration file. I search through Joomla Documentation and i found this article Cannot save Global Configuration best describe my problem.

From the suggested solution, i need to change the ownership of the “configuration.php” file to match the FTP login ID if using “FTP enabled” for the site. However, in my ftp program, i noticed that the ownership of the file already has the same username as my ftp login ID. I am not sure if the FTP fields in Global Configuration is filled-in corretly, hence i briefly explain what setting i am using to filled up the fields:

In Cpanel, i have not set up any ftp account, but initially it already has a Special FTP account set up which said this account is linked to my hosting account. I uploaded and unpacked Joomla Installation Zip via CPanel, in ftp program, i can see most of the unpacked files ownership has the username same as the Special FTP, hence i believe this Special FTP is used to set up my site. Below is some details of the ftp:

FTP username: same as my cpanel login username
FTP server: something like ftp.mysite.com
FTP & FTPS port: 21
Path: /home/MyHostingAccountName

For your information, i am running Joomla as Apache module on my server, in order to make configuration.php writeable, i have change the permission from 644 to 647. I filled in the FTP fields in Global Configuration using above information, and then when i clicked on the save button, it return failed with above error message. Any thing i have missed out?

Mandatory information about my setup:
Joomla! version: 2.5.9
PHP version: 5.3.23
MySQL version: 5.0.96
Apache version: 2.2.24
Server OS: CentOS 5 64 bits

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by bsyap86 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Sharing makes you bigger that you are.
The more you pour out, the more life will be able to pour in."

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Can't save Global Configuration in FTP enabled mode

Post by itoctopus » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:46 am

Just change the permissions of the configuration.php to 777 temporarily, save the settings, and then change it back immediately to 444.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

bsyap86
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Can't save Global Configuration in FTP enabled mode

Post by bsyap86 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:03 pm

itoctopus wrote:Just change the permissions of the configuration.php to 777 temporarily, save the settings, and then change it back immediately to 444.
Hi itoctopus, thanks for the reply. Change the permission of configuration.php to 777 does not work for me. I have enabled the FTP mode and filled-in the FTP details, but when i clicked save, it prompt error message stated above. I suspect it has nothing related to permission issue which in fact i strongly believe it is regard to ownership problem. The logical user trying to execute the update configuration script after i have made changes in global configuration is nobody:nobody because my server is running Joomla as Apache module not cgi/fcgi, however, the configuration.php is belong to my ftp user which cause the server can't made this update to the file. I don't know why setting file permission to 777 would not allowed the server to write to configuration.php. This is the thing i am not cleared off.

bsyap86
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Can't save Global Configuration in FTP enabled m

Post by bsyap86 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:11 am

Hi Everyone,

I manage to get above error solved by reading FTP Layer-Hints.

As mentioned in above article, setting the FTP Root under FTP Settings or

Code: Select all

public $ftp_root = 
in configuration.php incorrectly could be the reason causing your Joomla FTP layer not working.

From Global configuration, it said FTP Root : This is the path from the FTP log-in location to the folder that holds the Joomla site.Hence, i taught i should set exact path of like /home/YourHostingAccountName/public_html where this path is the root path of my Joomla! site. However it fails, after i have read the hints article, then i almost figure it why it should fail because i have set the wrong path. When login using ftp program(FileZilla), i notice that the remote site showing my root site path as (/), so, i try to use this as my FTP Root and it WORKS. If you still getting Can't save error message, please try other path, it could be others as mentioned in the hints article.

If you have try above and still getting JFTP:Bad Response, Could not save message, and you really want your site to run under FTP Enable mode, then you should consider other solutions. Turn OFF FTP layer will always solve above error, however, if your site FTP upload is different with your web server identities, then you may have problem installing third party extension as mentioned in the Global configuration article.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”