Control of sidebars for a selected areas

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ecoita
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Control of sidebars for a selected areas

Post by ecoita » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:27 pm

Hello all,

Joomla 2.5

I've assumed the position of a former employee who would make updates to this Joomla site. The site was built prior to my arrival. I've worked in other CMS/LMS backends before but this escapes me.

The request came in to add sidebars to this page: http://www.nationalcac.org/ncac-trainin ... -mdts.html

So it can look like this one: http://www.nationalcac.org/ncac-trainin ... ector.html

Going through the articles, there is no additional code added for the sites that have sidebars. So I checked the category, and they are all in the same category. Looked under menus, and saw no options there either. I've looked in modules, categories and even the template and have come up with zero, zilch, nada. I feel the answer is right under my nose, but can't understand why its so hidden. It's only a two pages that need this sidebar.

Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

ecoita

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Control of sidebars for a selected areas

Post by imanickam » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:25 pm

The side bar you are referring to are known as module positions. You can publish a module to a module position. Module position names are not standard and they depend on the template being used for the site.

Review of the following documents would be of help.
https://docs.joomla.org/Module_positions
https://docs.joomla.org/Finding_module_ ... given_page

https://docs.joomla.org/Help25:Extensio ... le_Manager

In your case, the module position name is position-7.

Go to Module Manager (Extensions => Module Manager) and you would see the instances of the modules published in to various module positions.

Note: Be informed that Joomla! 2.5 Support Ended On December 31, 2014!
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

ecoita
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ecoita » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have read through that documentation and have gone through the modules, identifying the positions that need to be added to the page. However, I still do not know how to select the page listed above, as it is not listed an a option to select.

So I see that it's position 7, but do not see how to control that feature. That is my question. How do I turn position on for this page, as it has been selected for other pages?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:21 pm

ecoita wrote:I still do not know how to select the page listed above, as it is not listed an a option to select.
When you create a New instance of a module or Edit an existing instance of a module, in the screen where you select the module position, there is a section named "Menu Assignment" where you can select in what pages the module appears.
imanickam wrote:So I see that it's position 7, but do not see how to control that feature.
If you publish a module to a particular module position (for a particular menu item), then the space will be adjusted automatically.

Note: I would suggest downloading and installing (along with sample data) the Joomla! version that you are using on your local machine. This will help you to understand how things are put together in Joomla!
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

ecoita
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ecoita » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:47 pm

imanickam wrote:When you create a New instance of a module or Edit an existing instance of a module, in the screen where you select the module position, there is a section named "Menu Assignment" where you can select in what pages the module appears.
So what do you do when the page is not listed there? Or in the other areas in the menu assignment? That's why I'm frustrated!

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:26 pm

You have to find out how the menu items are organized within menu(s). Probably there is a third level menu item that is not getting displayed. Or there could be a menu (with menu items) that is not visible. Or, there could be an extension such as sh404sef that maps the raw URL to a clean SEF URL.

So, you have to find out how that third level in the URL is coming up.

What is the menu item type of the menu item webinars-main-page that is under the menu item online-training?

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”