User access logs?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
cc-vortex
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

User access logs?

Post by cc-vortex » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi all, we are currently on Joomla! 2.5.28; standard *nix web server and PHP/MySQL.

We had someone seemingly maliciously edit an article using a generic admin level login from the front page login module and then editing using the edit link from the article itself.

There are a few different people that had access to that login.

Is there any way for us to get the IP address of where these edits were done from? It was probably a month ago...

Thanks all, any/all help appreciated.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: User access logs?

Post by sozzled » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Um, the alarm bells rang in my head when I read "generic admin level login". I'm sorry but, trying to find when, how, who, what and why this "malicious" edit occurred is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. The fact is that it happened. The main issue is to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Change the username and password on the account that was use to perform the activity.

There are mechanisms to log administrator activity; there are third-party extensions, for example, that log most things that an administrator account might change when they're logged in.

LATE EDIT: I'm sorry, I should have looked more closely at this topic. J! 2.5.28 (says it all, really!). J! 2.5.28 is four years old, it's outdated, highly vulnerable to attack and that version is no longer supported. In fact, if I'd seen that we were discussing J! 2.5.28 I wouldn't have responded to this topic at all. J! 2.5.x is not on the radar screens of the more experienced users of Joomla.

Recommendation is to take your site offline and undertake the migration from J! 2.5.28 to J! 3.6.5 ASAP before the damage that's been done already worsens and it becomes next-to-impossible to salvage anything.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
I need your help to help reduce spam at the Joomla forum. You can help with your ideas, questions and opinions at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=974006. Together we can make a difference :)

cc-vortex
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cc-vortex » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:51 pm

So by your reply you do not know if J 2.5 logs this info? I appreciate your advice but this is not what I asked for.
I had nothing to do with the previous admin's policies, this is my mess now, so I just need to know if Joomla logs this and if so, where do I find it.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Joomla itself—no version—logs this kind of activity. There are extensions for J! 3.x that can track [some] administrator activity; I'm not aware of anything similar for J! 2.5 (because I haven't used J! 2.5 for some years). Your web server, on the other hand, logs everything. Finding the information, however, may be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

And, lastly, you have my sympathy. I wish you good fortune. 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
I need your help to help reduce spam at the Joomla forum. You can help with your ideas, questions and opinions at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=974006. Together we can make a difference :)

cc-vortex
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cc-vortex » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:59 pm

OK, thanks, I'll send a note to my host, see if they can help.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”