Password of new users doesn't work

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Vorak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Password of new users doesn't work

Postby Vorak » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:40 am

Hello,

I hope that someone can help me as this is a serious problem which recently started to appear on my Joomla website. When new users register on the website, and have confirmed their account (which all works fine), they can't login.

I have made a few test accounts, and for what I found it appears to be the password that is causing this. Even when you fill out the username and password correctly, it is still rejected. But I tried various different passwords, and this is what appears to be the case:

- If the password contains no uppercase letters and no numbers, it works fine to login
- If the password contains uppercase (no letters), it doesn't work - except when you type it all in lowercase (so password Testing wouldn't work, but if you fill it out as testing it does)
- If the password contains numbers, it doesn't work no matter what

I have been googling this issue but found nothing.

This issue only appears to users who create a new account. Those who already had an account are able to login fine.

It is possible to give those new users a different password in the backend, and that works fine (even when it contains numbers and uppercase letters). When the new user logs in with that password, they can change it to another password themselves and log in with it without a problem, even when their new password also contains numbers or uppercase letters.But it's not the idea that we manually create another password for every new user that registers on the website.

I am running Joomla 2.5.28 with the latest version of Community Builder 2.
Linux server with php 5.3.

This site has been running on Joomla 2.5 since 2013 but only recently this issue began to appear. What I did prior to the issue's appearance:
- Update Community Builder from version 1.9.1. to the latest CB 2 last week.
- Update CB-related plugins and modules.
- Update Joomla's version to 2.5.28 (I hadn't done that in awhile, the previous version was somewhere around 2.5.13 or something).

I am also running jFusion to connect Joomla with eFront. After upgrading CB this started giving issues to where people could no longer log out of the website at all. When I disabled the "auto logon" for eFront as slave, everything appeared to work normally again. However, even when I disable jFusion completely, the password problem still persists. I also can't update jFusion to a newer version because it appears that their website no longer exists.

I don't know which of the updates I recently did are the cause of this issue, but I can't seem to find what is causing it. I have looked over the main settings of Joomla and CB for as far as I know, and everything seems normal.

Please help.

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Password of new users doesn't work

Postby dhuelsmann » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:58 am

Seeing as how you are running a very old version of Joomla not too many people are going to jump in to help you until you upgrade to the current version 3.6.5.
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

Vorak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby Vorak » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm aware of the fact that I'm still running an old Joomla, and that an upgrade to the newer one is going to be needed.

The problem is that due to personal reasons I have currently a lack of time to get a new Joomla set up, seeing that it will also present me with some other problems, such as the fact that jFusion no longer exists and that I'll need something else that can do the same.

That is why I am hoping for a solution for Joomla 2.5, even if it is a temporary one. If I have to make changes in the source code, then so be it, as there are not going to be new updates of Joomla 2.5 anymore anyway that can overwrite it.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Per Yngve Berg » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Vorak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby Vorak » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:55 pm

Good to know - thanks for that! Will hopefully come in handy in the future when I get to work on upgrading to Joomla 3.

Vorak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby Vorak » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:27 pm

I have downloaded jFusion from Github and tried to install it but it failed. There's apparently no installer xml file included. Is there another way that I can install it, maybe just upload the files and overwrite the old files?

Vorak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby Vorak » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:54 pm

The password problem is resolved.

It turned out that in the extension manager, these two things were not (or at least, no longer) enabled:

- Authentication - Joomla
- User - Joomla

Enabling them again resolved the issue. Don't know what caused them to be disabled to begin with.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”