Moved to a new server

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
redstorm07
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Moved to a new server

Post by redstorm07 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:04 pm

Hello,

I moved a jommla installation 2.5 from an Ubuntu 10.04 to CentOS 7. Copied all files + DB. Many issues on the road but now I have access to it, but still some issues are present and I am really stuck.

.htaccess file is located besides the jommla files (which I just copied over from other server) in /var/www/html (in old server it was /srv/www)
Still no URL-Rewrite possible. Also checked the CentOS rewrite module, it is OK. Because of this all links go to 404. Disabling rewrite gives me acces to them.

This brings me to the 2nd issue. It is not possible to save the configuration file. Cannot write in configuration file. I changed and changed the rights...but same issue, right now it is set to 777. Whole folder has root as owner (mysql username is also root..don't know if this matters).

Also last issue is that one of the links which should show some phine numbers is not working. It resides in a "telefonliste.php". Error is cannot connect to the Database.

Thank you!

PS: I am also open to upgrade to latest joomla but not sure how to do this without loosing data.

redstorm07
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Moved to a new server

Post by redstorm07 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:21 am

So Issue 2 was resolved after changing the permissions again and rebooting.
Issue 3 solved as well...there was an extra sql db.

Issue 1 remains, .htaccess looks fine....

Also I tried to update, unfortunatelfy I don't have a joomla update button.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:24 am

Try this:

1) Login to the backend of your website.
2) Enter this URL in your web browser address <your-site>/administrator/index.php?option=com_joomlaupdate

Does this allow you to update?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:40 am

Ooops ... sorry ... I just saw that this was a question about J! 2.5. The information I provided above is useful if you already have J! 3.x installed. You could try the method I offered but I don't know if it works.

A one-click migration from J! 2.5 to J! 3.x is possible but you need to be running J! 2.5.28. I'm sure others can give you a few pointers here. I stopped using J! 2.5 about 8 years ago and my memory is not too good. :laugh:

Rondeb
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rondeb » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:06 am

Hello,

download joomla 2.5 and use the htaccess from there maybe the old .htaccess contains old references.

See of the problem then is solved!

Greatings Ron

redstorm07
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by redstorm07 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:41 am

sozzled wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:40 am
Ooops ... sorry ... I just saw that this was a question about J! 2.5. The information I provided above is useful if you already have J! 3.x installed. You could try the method I offered but I don't know if it works.

A one-click migration from J! 2.5 to J! 3.x is possible but you need to be running J! 2.5.28. I'm sure others can give you a few pointers here. I stopped using J! 2.5 about 8 years ago and my memory is not too good. :laugh:
Link works, not the update.

@rondeb I solved that issue as well, I didn’t know you have to enable the use of htaccess in /var/www first.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”