1.5 to 2.5 Can I do it or do i need help

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Billk
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

1.5 to 2.5 Can I do it or do i need help

Post by Billk » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Albanytwilightleague.net can I migrate this myself or should I $$ to do it 1.5 - 2.5

jessica albert
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 1.5 to 2.5 Can I do it or do i need help

Post by jessica albert » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi Billk,
you want to update the Joomla

jessica albert
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jessica albert » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:56 pm

sorry
you want to Upgrade the Joomla

jessica albert
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jessica albert » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:01 pm

hi Billk,

You can't directly upgrade from a Joomla! 1.5.x version to the 2.5.x line, it's a migration.

As the 2.5 line is a big change to Joomla! you will have to find 2.5 versions of:

the template you're using
any custom extensions (ie. components, plug-ins, modules etc)

Version 2.5 has new technical requirements so you will need to check that your server meets those.

Once you've got all that resolved.

First thing you should do is upgrade a backup of your 1.5.x site to the latest version ie. 1.5.26 as it fixes some security issues, and the recent versions included 1 or 2 bugs that help with the migration.

Once you have that working you will need to use a migration tool as discussed in this document. Please note that while this document references JUpgrade, you would probably be better off looking at one of the other conversion tools, especially the commercial products (which aren't expensive at all).

We're about half way through migrating over 200 client websites and while we started out with the free 'recommended' component we now use the commercial SP Upgrade (I have no affiliation with this product other than purchasing it and using it happily).

jessica albert
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jessica albert » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:47 pm

hi,
your problem is solve or not ???

thanks

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”